• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Hassouni said:

I've seen whole chickens at H Mart labelled either soup, stew, or old chicken, as distinct from the rest of the poultry for sale there. I was wondering if anyone had tried these, and if they are in fact better for long cooking, and also any speculation about the provenance of said chickens? Industrially raised chickens are slaughtered very young, so what about these?

They are, I believe, chickens used in egg production. When their ovaries pack in and they stop laying, they are sold as you describe. I don't know your store, but that's certainly what they are here. They certainly make better soups and stocks.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Hassouni said:

I've seen whole chickens at H Mart labelled either soup, stew, or old chicken, as distinct from the rest of the poultry for sale there. I was wondering if anyone had tried these, and if they are in fact better for long cooking, and also any speculation about the provenance of said chickens? Industrially raised chickens are slaughtered very young, so what about these?

They are, I believe, chickens used in egg production. When their ovaries pack in, thy are sold as you describe. I don't know your store, but that's certainly what they are here. They certainly make better soups and stocks.