• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jackie40503

jackie40503

Hi Lisa,

First let me say I was in Phoenix two years ago and did manage to get to the Mexican Restaurant that I've always liked
and had a Green Chili Burro.  The taste has not changed from what it was when I lived there, so I do not believe that the
method of making them has changed to any great degree.

I will try the recipe that you linked to and see if it would be what I am looking for after adding pork to it.

I do have several recipes for green chili stew which I got from a couple of Mexican restaurants in Colorado when I worked there.
While a great stew, it is not what I am looking for.

Hi Mike,
I do have several great Chili Verde recipes but they are not the same as a Green Chili Burro.

Also, you can get Chili Verde at Mexican restaurants all across the US.

By the way, the recipe you gave is not really a Chili Verde as it does not  call for Tomatillos  which are needed when making Chili Verde.

Hi Katie,

From Wikipedia;

The word burrito means "Little Donkey" in Spanish, being the diminutive form of Burro, or  "Donkey".

So a Green Chili Burro would be made with a much larger flour tortilla then a burrito would use.

As I explained to Mike above, Chili Verde and Green Chili Burro are two different things.

jackie40503

jackie40503

Hi Lisa,

First let me say I was in Phoenix two years ago and did manage to get to the Mexican Restaurant that I've always liked
and had a Green Chili Burro.  The taste has not changed from what it was when I lived there, so I do not believe that the
method of making them has changed to any great degree.

I will try the recipe that you linked to and see if it would be what I am looking for after adding pork to it.

I do have several recipes for green chili stew which I got from a couple of Mexican restaurants in Colorado when I worked there.
While a great stew, it is not what I am looking for.

Hi Mike,
I do have several great Chili Verde recipes but they are not the same as a Green Chili Burro.

Also, you can get Chili Verde at Mexican restaurants all across the US.

By the way, the recipe you gave is not really a Chili Verde as it does not  call for Tomatillos  which are needed when making Chili Verde.

Hi Katie,

From Wikipedia;

The work burrito means "Little Donkey" in Spanish, being the diminutive form of Burro, or  "Donkey".

So a Green Chili Burro would be made with a much larger flour tortilla then a burrito would use.

As I explained to Mike above, Chili Verde and Green Chili Burro are two different things.

jackie40503

jackie40503

Hi Lisa,

Hi Mike,

Hi Katie,