• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

sartoric

sartoric

One of the things I like about our almost exclusively Indian diet is how the various dishes work so well together, and therein lies the ability to make a quick meal out of leftovers. I always cook a dish in quantity to serve  4 or more and keep the remainder in the fridge for up to four days. So when things get hectic and you’re scrambling to get a meal ready in short order, it’s easy peasy. This one took maybe 15 minutes....mostly spent frying rice and manning the microwave.102DC23F-361D-4FD0-8EFB-BFC60D9D33FA.thumb.jpeg.1b25296cb1a260192c2e0db504eaf487.jpeg

The rice was cooked yesterday, in a rice cooker with just a few cardamom pods and cloves. Tonight I spluttered some mustard seeds in ghee, then added urad dal and curry leaves, diced onion, green chilli, and a pinch of turmeric, the cooked rice and stirred for several minutes to break up any lumps, then defrosted peas stirring until hot, and finished with chopped fresh coriander. 

It’s served with chicken and fenugreek curry from a few days ago, mallum made with Tuscan cabbage, also from a couple days ago,  Kali dal (a black lentil dish) made yesterday and paratha cooked on a tawa. I buy the paratha frozen in a 20 pack, they’re handy when I can’t be bothered or don’t have time for making chapatis.  Tawa (pronounced tava) is a fry pan, flat with a tiny lip and very useful for breads like chapatis, paratha and also dosa. 

sartoric

sartoric

One of the things I like about our almost exclusively Indian diet is how the various dishes work so well together, and there lies the ability to make a quick meal out of leftovers. I always cook a dish in quantity to serve  4 or more and keep the remainder in the fridge for up to four days. So when things get hectic and you’re scrambling to get a meal ready in short order, it’s easy peasy. This one took maybe 15 minutes....mostly spent frying rice and manning the microwave.102DC23F-361D-4FD0-8EFB-BFC60D9D33FA.thumb.jpeg.1b25296cb1a260192c2e0db504eaf487.jpeg

The rice was cooked yesterday, in a rice cooker with just a few cardamom pods and cloves. Tonight I spluttered some mustard seeds in ghee, then added urad dal and curry leaves, diced onion, green chilli, and a pinch of turmeric, the cooked rice and stirred for several minutes to break up any lumps, then defrosted peas stirring until hot, and finished with chopped fresh coriander. 

It’s served with chicken and fenugreek curry from a few days ago, mallum made with Tuscan cabbage, also from a couple days ago,  Kali dal (a black lentil dish) made yesterday and paratha cooked on a tawa. I buy the paratha frozen in a 20 pack, they’re handy when I can’t be bothered or don’t have time for making chapatis.  Tawa (pronounced tava) is a fry pan, flat with a tiny lip and very useful for breads like chapatis, paratha and also dosa.