• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

On 5/1/2024 at 9:20 AM, FrogPrincesse said:

The lemony turmeric tea cake from Nothing Fancy is another winner. I enjoyed the texture which has a very fine crumb thanks to the sour cream / yoghurt in the recipe (I used a mix of both). The lemon flavor really comes through (I liked the technique of rubbing together the lemon zest with the sugar before adding the wet ingredients), and the caramelized lemon slices on top are delicious. Favorite part - the browned exterior. For the inside to be fully cooked, I needed to cook it 15-20 minutes more than the 50-60 minutes the recipe called for.

Lemony turmeric tea cake (Alison Roman)

PS: Only annoyance, the recipe is by volume rather than weight. But there are online versions of the recipe that are by weight.

I missed this post! And I just wrote a term paper on that tea cake, see above. How funny. I used yogurt mixed with creme fraiche instead of sour cream. And I didn't find the cake needed extra time in the oven. Maybe my oven runs hot, and also I used a dark metal loaf pan.

The lemony turmeric tea cake from Nothing Fancy is another winner. I enjoyed the texture which has a very fine crumb thanks to the sour cream / yoghurt in the recipe (I used a mix of both). The lemon flavor really comes through (I liked the technique of rubbing together the lemon zest with the sugar before adding the wet ingredients), and the caramelized lemon slices on top are delicious. Favorite part - the browned exterior. For the inside to be fully cooked, I needed to cook it 15-20 minutes more than the 50-60 minutes the recipe called for.

PS: Only annoyance, the recipe is by volume rather than weight. But there are online versions of the recipe that are by weight.

I missed this post! And I just wrote a term paper on that tea cake, see above. How funny.

I missed this post! And I just wrote a term paper on that tea cake, see below. How funny.