• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jemartin

jemartin

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:35 PM, liuzhou said:

You will note those guys in the video do toss by yanking the wok backwards. And splashing oil over their calloused incinerated hands. A long handle wok makes a lot of sense in a domestic set up and are also used in many industrial kitchens, too.

Thanks for the tip.  Maybe I should find some gloves to wear instead of just using a dish cloth then to protect hands from oil (even if I get a Pow Wok with a handle)?

Edit:  I think someone earlier mentioned Korin as a high quality wok maker and a reputable company which makes woks that would give me good wok hei, but I don't see the post anymore on here.  Just wondering if you guys can confirm this wok would be a good choice for making restaurant-style Chinese food over a 65000 BTU burner (or something similar) to get good wok hei with the pow wok tossing cooking style for stir frying:

http://www.korin.com/TK-301-07-36?sc=28&category=17780105

I was just concerned if it might be the wrong choice because it says it's "iron" instead of the usual silver colored carbon steel that these pow woks are usually made of.  Not sure if that's a problem.

jemartin

jemartin

You will note those guys in the video do toss by yanking the wok backwards. And splashing oil over their calloused incinerated hands. A long handle wok makes a lot of sense in a domestic set up and are also used in many industrial kitchens, too.

Thanks for the tip.  Maybe I should find some gloves to wear instead of just using a dish cloth then to protect hands from oil (even if I get a Pow Wok with a handle)?

Edit:  I think someone earlier mentioned Korin as a high quality wok maker and a reputable company which makes woks that would give me good wok hei, but I don't see the post anymore on here.  Just wondering if you guys can confirm this wok would be a good choice for making restaurant-style Chinese food over a 65000 BTU burner to get good wok hei with the pow wok tossing cooking style for stir frying:

I was just concerned if it might be the wrong choice because it says it's "iron" instead of the usual silver colored carbon steel that these pow woks are usually made of.  Not sure if that's a problem.

jemartin

jemartin

Edit:  I think someone earlier mentioned Korin as a high quality wok maker and a reputable company which makes woks that would give me good wok hei, but I don't see the post anymore on here.  Just wondering if you guys can confirm this wok would be a good choice for making restaurant-style Chinese food over a 65000 BTU burner to get good wok hei:

jemartin

jemartin

Edit:  I think someone earlier mentioned Korin as a good wok maker that made woks that would give me good wok hei, but I don't see the post anymore on here.  Just wondering if you guys think this wok would be a good choice for making restaurant-style Chinese food over a 65000 BTU burner to get good wok hei:

jemartin

jemartin

Edit:  I think someone earlier mentioned Korin as a good wok maker that made woks that would give me good wok hei, but I don't see the post anymore on here.  Just wondering if you guys think this wok would be a good choice for making restaurant-style Chinese food over a 65000 BTU burner to get good wok hei:

jemartin

jemartin