• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jemartin

jemartin

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, IEATRIO said:

I have both, but the single handled wok is much easier to use, particularly on a western burner.  Chinese professional burners do a much better job of aiming the heat at the bottom of the wok, but the western burners have much more distributed heat, and will heat your handles to the point at which they can't be handled with a dishtowel and require serious heat protection for your hands.   

Western burners that are purpose-built for woks included?

I notice outdoorstirfry.com seems to have several wok burners at decent looking prices.  Does anyone on this website have experience buying from this company? Are they a reputable business with good products? Or do you have alternative wok burner suggestions?

edit -- found another source for the 65000 btu Kahuna burner purchase so I don't need help with the burner question anymore.

jemartin

jemartin

I have both, but the single handled wok is much easier to use, particularly on a western burner.  Chinese professional burners do a much better job of aiming the heat at the bottom of the wok, but the western burners have much more distributed heat, and will heat your handles to the point at which they can't be handled with a dishtowel and require serious heat protection for your hands.   

I notice outdoorstirfry.com seems to have several wok burners at decent looking prices.  Does anyone on this website have experience buying from this company? Are they a reputable business with good products? Or do you have alternative wok burner suggestions?

jemartin

jemartin

On a related note, it looks like my Portable Kahuna burner was missing parts when Amazon shipped it to me.  They gave me a refund, but now I need a different wok burner because they stopped carrying it.  It looks like the only other wok burner they have with at least 65,000 BTU is another Kahuna burner which comes with a wok I don't really want (the wok it comes with is way too big), and the setup costs more than twice as much as the Kahuna I ordered.  I notice outdoorstirfry.com seems to have several wok burners at decent looking prices.  Does anyone on this website have experience buying from this company? Are they a reputable business with good products? Or do you have alternative wok burner suggestions?