• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shalmanese

Shalmanese

The original Valencia St location was just a few blocks from my house. I think I ate there maybe 3 or 4 times in the 3 years when I lived around there. There was much tastier, more authentic Indian food within just a few blocks walk and there were much tastier, cheaper options right next door so it was rare that I had a specific hankering for Curry Up Now. Most of the times I went there was because I was meeting a friend and they proposed that location.

It definitely felt like dumbed down Indian food to suit a white palate. The basic flavors were there but it didn't have the punch of my favorite places in the Mission (shoutout to Pakwan!). From a quick glance at their website, they seem to have considerably expanded their menu and included several menu items that I would actually want to eat. I wish them all the best but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to try them.

Shalmanese

Shalmanese

The original Valencia St location was just a few blocks from my house. I think I ate there maybe 3 or 4 times in the 3 years it was at that location. There was much tastier, more authentic Indian food within just a few blocks walk and there were much tastier, cheaper options right next door so it was rare that I had a specific hankering for Curry Up Now. Most of the times I went there was because I was meeting a friend and they proposed that location.

It definitely felt like dumbed down Indian food to suit a white palate. The basic flavors were there but it didn't have the punch of my favorite places in the Mission (shoutout to Pakwan!). From a quick glance at their website, they seem to have considerably expanded their menu and included several menu items that I would actually want to eat. I wish them all the best but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to try them.