• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DomDeFranco

DomDeFranco

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_4213.thumb.jpeg.1aac646ee8156a9171f5137b2f5b90ca.jpeg

IMG_4214.thumb.jpeg.ea61548fa1756e1ebfef6be2c601e509.jpeg

For the life of me - no matter how I edit in iPhoto then drag them in - they still are on their side!

I started with 100 grams of Callebaut 811 and 100 grams of cream - then just reduced the cream a few grams at a time to get these numbers.

Starting with 100 grams of 811 and 20 grams of water - I got 0.94. Changing to a lemon juice with a pH less than 3 brought it down to 0.92 however the lemon juice has 5% solids in it so I'm not sure it it is that or the pH that resulted in the reduction. 

Thanks for doing this. Very interesting!

From what I can gather, lowering the pH does not have a significant effect on water activity. Could be the solids then?

The shelf lives are interesting for the basic ganache.

I haven't been making chocolates for very long, so it would be interesting to see what yours and others experience and gut feeling is for all these different shelf lives?

6 days for a 1:1 ganache seems very high to me, but I don't know? Is this at room temperature?

DomDeFranco

DomDeFranco

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_4213.thumb.jpeg.1aac646ee8156a9171f5137b2f5b90ca.jpeg

IMG_4214.thumb.jpeg.ea61548fa1756e1ebfef6be2c601e509.jpeg

For the life of me - no matter how I edit in iPhoto then drag them in - they still are on their side!

I started with 100 grams of Callebaut 811 and 100 grams of cream - then just reduced the cream a few grams at a time to get these numbers.

Starting with 100 grams of 811 and 20 grams of water - I got 0.94. Changing to a lemon juice with a pH less than 3 brought it down to 0.92 however the lemon juice has 5% solids in it so I'm not sure it it is that or the pH that resulted in the reduction. 

Thanks for doing this. Very interesting!

From what I can gather, lowering the pH does not have a significant effect on water activity. Could be the solids then?

The shelf lives are interesting for the basic ganache.

I haven't been making chocolates for very long, so it would be interesting to see what yours and others experience and gut feeling is for all these different shelf lives?

6 days for a 1:1 ganache seems very high to me, but I don't know?