• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DomDeFranco

DomDeFranco

There doesn't seem to be much consistency in the different recommendations, that's for sure.

So, the pH is obviously very important as well. It could be that pro choc takes into account the pH as well as the AW?

And perhaps, as many ganache recipes include ingredients to lower the pH, that would explain the difference in the higher AW ratings between bakers and chocolatiers? Sorry I mean the difference in shelf life for the same AW ratings.

I assume there must be research done on the relationship between AW, pH and shelf life. 

I'll see if I get a bit of time over the weekend to look into it.

As an aside, I've noticed water activity meters on Alibaba for $3-400. I don't suppose anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks

DomDeFranco

DomDeFranco

There doesn't seem to be much consistency in the different recommendations, that's for sure.

So, the pH is obviously very important as well. It could be that pro choc takes into account the pH as well as the AW?

And perhaps, as many ganache recipes include ingredients to lower the pH, that would explain the difference in the higher AW ratings between bakers and chocolatiers?

I assume there must be research done on the relationship between AW, pH and shelf life. 

I'll see if I get a bit of time over the weekend to look into it.

As an asside, I've noticed water activity meters on Alibaba for $3-400. I don't suppose anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks