• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

I'm watching this program on gluten and inflammation and do not endorse or disagree with it...I simply don't know enough about the subject...but one thing is true and I guess that scientific study endorses it: 1,000 years ago wheat contained only 4% gluten and now in the 21st century, it's 12 %. That was a staggering thing to learn.

Added:  I went back and reread this entire thread and was taken aback by my post of 2018...an eating lifetime ago.  Now I avoid gluten pretty much, although like some, a small amount will not produce any problems...so far...  I'm going to rethink this issue again.  I didn't find it a problem for the year and a half in which I avoided gluten completely...life is much easier for the gluten-intolerant now.  And still a lot of my baking is gluten-free...I actually like what I am making.  But bread is the biggest problem.  I love a particular whole-grain regular-type bread and have gone back to eating it.  I'm going to try the gluten-free sandwich bread recipe posted above.  

Darienne

Darienne

I'm watching this program on gluten and inflammation and do not endorse or disagree with it...I simply don't know enough about the subject...but one thing is true and I guess that scientific study endorses it: 1,000 years ago wheat contained only 4% gluten and now in the 21st century, it's 12 %. That was a staggering thing to learn.