• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Saltychoc

Saltychoc

On 9/28/2023 at 1:29 AM, pastrygirl said:

I just saw an ad for this portable fan/filter and immediately thought of chocolatiers who airbrush. 

https://theairhood.com/

Might help with the cocoa butter cloud?

On 9/28/2023 at 6:05 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Might - but I suspect you'd need to build an enclosure around it. And a charcoal filter would not be necessary. I'd be interested to know how noisy it might be. 

I have one of these and I use it sometimes. First off - if you do get it don't bother with the cordless one. The battery is not reliable so I keep it plugged in anyway. It does actually work pretty well to pull excess cocoa butter out of the air.

I have the pop-up tent mentioned earlier in this thread, I clip the top of it together so that it isn't as open, then I have a M8 (I think) filter and box fan on the back of the tent. I put the airhood at the front opening of the tent to pull in backspray. There is significantly less cocoa butter in the air when I use it vs when I do not. Another bonus is that all of the parts, including the mesh outer screen, are washable. They are attached with magnets and pop right off. I do use the charcoal filters, it came with a number of them, without something in the charcoal filter slot you would have to clean the inside of the fan with q-tips. Could probably just use coffee filters or cheese cloth though, I will try that tomorrow. I wear a mask and face shield when spraying and I do not have to wipe it as frequently when using the airhood.

It definitely has negatives - it's pretty loud on the highest setting so I wear ear plugs or muffs. You really do need to use the highest setting for it to be effective. You have to clean it between every use though it does wash up easy. To use it as the primary fan you would probably need that enclosure but as I use it mainly to keep the area directly in front of me clear that isn't an issue. When it is quieter later I will see if I can upload a gif or something with sound that shows how loud it is. With the exhaust fan, box fan, airhood, and compressor running.. sometimes my ears need a break.

Saltychoc

Saltychoc

On 9/28/2023 at 1:29 AM, pastrygirl said:

I just saw an ad for this portable fan/filter and immediately thought of chocolatiers who airbrush. 

https://theairhood.com/

Might help with the cocoa butter cloud?

On 9/28/2023 at 6:05 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Might - but I suspect you'd need to build an enclosure around it. And a charcoal filter would not be necessary. I'd be interested to know how noisy it might be. 

I have one of these and I use it sometimes. First off - if you do get it don't bother with the cordless one. The battery is not reliable so I keep it plugged in anyway. It does actually work pretty well to pull excess cocoa butter out of the air.

I have the pop-up tent mentioned earlier in this thread, I clip the top of it together so that it isn't as open, then I have a M8 (I think) filter and box fan on the back of the tent. I put the airhood at the front opening of the tent to pull in backspray. There is significantly less cocoa butter in the air when I use it vs when I do not. Another bonus is that all of the parts, including the mesh outer screen, are washable. They are attached with magnets and pop right off. I do use the charcoal filters, it came with a number of them, without something in the charcoal filter slot you would have to clean the inside of the fan with q-tips. Could probably just use coffee filters or cheese cloth though, I will try that tomorrow. I wear a mask and face shield when spraying and I do not have to wipe it as frequently when using the airhood.

It definitely has negatives - it's pretty loud on the highest setting so I wear ear plugs or muffs. You really do need to use the highest setting for it to be effective. You have to clean it between every use though it does wash up easy. To use it as the primary fan you would probably need that enclosure but as I use it mainly to keep the area directly in front of me clear that isn't an issue. When it is quieter later I will see if I can upload a gif or something that sound that shows how loud it is. With the exhaust fan, box fan, airhood, and compressor running.. sometimes my ears need a break.