• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Chimayo Joe

Chimayo Joe

3 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Stir-Fried Spinach, Andhra-Style (p. 112)

In her writeup she suggests that this type of dish involves stir-frying something until it is crisp: but this dish is definitely not crisp! Which isn't to say it wasn't delicious, but I don't understand the disconnect between the recipe intro and the actual recipe.

Stir-Fried Spinach, Andhra-Style p112.jpg

Is this how it was worded in Vegetarian India?

"In Andhra, ‘vepadu’ refers to dishes that are either stir-fried or deep-fried until they are crisp" (Curry Easy Vegetarian)

I think she communicated poorly and meant "crisp" just to apply to the deep-fried dishes.

Stir-fried vepudu is similar to other stir-fried dishes of South India known by various names depending on the language of the state (thoran in Kerala, poriyal in Tamil Nadu, palya in Karnataka.)

Chimayo Joe

Chimayo Joe

3 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Stir-Fried Spinach, Andhra-Style (p. 112)

In her writeup she suggests that this type of dish involves stir-frying something until it is crisp: but this dish is definitely not crisp! Which isn't to say it wasn't delicious, but I don't understand the disconnect between the recipe intro and the actual recipe.

Stir-Fried Spinach, Andhra-Style p112.jpg

Is this how it was worded in Vegetarian India?

"In Andhra, ‘vepadu’ refers to dishes that are either stir-fried or deep-fried until they are crisp" (Curry Easy Vegetarian)

I think she communicated poorly and meant "crisp" just to apply to the deep-fried dishes.

Stir-fried vepudu is similar to other stir fried dishes of South India known by various names depending on the language of the state (thoran in Kerala, poriyal in Tamil Nadu, palya in Karnataka.)