• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 1/26/2018 at 2:58 AM, pastrygirl said:

In my experience, a person can eat a fair amount of chilies.  I went out for Sichuanese dinner a few days ago and ate most of my chilies, even if I wasn't supposed to.  And if you ever have occasion to try Bhutanese food, chilies are a main ingredient and can make up the bulk of a curry.

Of course, many people can eat a lot of chillies with no ill effect, but then it also depends on the type of chillies. They vary enormously in heat.

Also, I did say often the chillies are not meant to be eaten.  In many dishes, they are eaten (usually fresh), especially in Hunan food which is probably China's hottest (more so than that of Sichuan). I still say that if you eat all the chillies in 辣子鸡 là zi jī , you stand a good chance of being hospitalised. I've seen it happen.

On 1/26/2018 at 2:14 AM, Toliver said:

Kung Pao

And "kung po" (宫保 gōng bǎo) is one of the milder dishes!

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

In my experience, a person can eat a fair amount of chilies.  I went out for Sichuanese dinner a few days ago and ate most of my chilies, even if I wasn't supposed to.  And if you ever have occasion to try Bhutanese food, chilies are a main ingredient and can make up the bulk of a curry.

Of course, many people can eat a lot of chillies with no ill effect, but then it also depends on the type of chillies. They vary enormously in heat.

Also, I did say often the chillies are not many to be eaten.  In many dishes, they are eaten (usually fresh), especially in Hunan food which is probably China's hottest (more so than that of Sichuan). I still say that if you eat all the chillies in 辣子鸡 là zi jī , you stand a good chance of being hospitalised. I've seen it happen.

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Kung Pao

And "kung po" (宫保 gōng bǎo) is one of the milder dishes!