• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Depends on what flavor you prefer.

I don't favor cooking chicken or turkey stock for a long time because lengthy cooking sort of imparts an unpleasant sanguine flavor, IMO.

Fine with red meat meat/bones, but not white meat, especially from young birds—which most are.

Which is why I, generally, prefer Edna Lewis' method of chicken stock making, which is very quick and simple.

Edna said, and I agree: "I do not believe in cooking stock for a long period of time; it loses it's good flavor."

Even better when combined with Scott Peacock's chicken stock method.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Depends on what flavor you prefer.

I don't favor cooking chicken or turkey stock for a long time because lengthy cooking sort of imparts an unpleasant sanguine flavor, IMO.

Fine with red meat meat/bones, but not white meat, especially from young birds—which most are.

Which is why I, generally, prefer Edna Lewis' method of chicken stock making, which is very quick and simple.

Edna said, and I agree: "I do not believe in cooking stock for a long period of time; it loses it's good flavor."

Even better when combined with Scott Peacock's chicken stock method.