• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

10 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

What have you done to make it set up?  i.e. seeding with CB, tabling ... and how much butter vs CB did you add? 

I used 200 grams of the freeze dried corn, 250 grams of cocoa butter, and 100 grams each of the butter powder and sugar plus 5 grams of salt. I haven't done anything to temper it yet but the batch of milk chocolate I made before this hasn't been tempered yet either and it's solid, not soft at all. This stuff is literally like a really nice soft ganache. I asked the question regarding high milk fat levels from using butter or heavy cream powder having negative effects and was told by someone who does the bean to bar thing as a business that they haven't observed any negative effects caused by that.

Edit: So with pastrygirl asking about the cocoa butter amount I used and another person (Rob... aka: gfron1) mentioning the same thing on my Facebook post, I think I'm going to give upping the cocoa butter level a shot. Nothing to lose at this point, it's not going to do what I want it to do the way it is now and the entire purpose of this batch was to learn. 

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

What have you done to make it set up?  i.e. seeding with CB, tabling ... and how much butter vs CB did you add? 

I used 200 grams of the freeze dried corn, 250 grams of cocoa butter, and 100 grams each of the butter powder and sugar plus 5 grams of salt. I haven't done anything to temper it yet but the batch of milk chocolate I made before this hasn't been tempered yet either and it's solid, not soft at all. This stuff is literally like a really nice soft ganache. I asked the question regarding high milk fat levels from using butter or heavy cream powder having negative effects and was told by someone who does the bean to bar thing as a business that they haven't observed any negative effects caused by that.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

I used 200 grams of the freeze dried corn, 250 grams of cocoa butter, and 100 grams each of the butter powder and sugar plus 5 grams of salt. I haven't done anything to temper it yet but the batch of milk chocolate I made before this hasn't been tempered yet either and it's solid, not soft at all. This stuff is literally like a really nice soft ganache.