• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

The cruellest ordeal  I was put though during my primary and secondary education was the regular serving up of liver and onions at what we called "school dinner" which was lunch in the canteen.  This dish consisted of liver of unknown origin, unseasoned and  boiled to death then drowned in an onion "sauce" powerfully seasoned with charcoal. And that is me being polite.

I didn't eat liver from the day I left school at 18 and headed to university until many, many years later after I arrived in China. One day, dining with friends and being somewhat distracted, I grabbed something nearby with my chopsticks and absent-mindedly put it into my mouth. It was delicious, so I had some more. Naturally, I enquired as to what this might be. Chinese liver and onions!

Rather than boil it overnight as my school canteen apparently did, the onions were just nicely caramelised and the thinly sliced liver was melting in the mouth from a rapid, brief toss in the wok with green onions and red chillies.

After that,  I often ordered it in restaurants around town. Always delicious.

Then, one day, I thought "What would happen if I tried to recreate my school child nightmare dish, but using Chinese techniques." Damn! I liked the results and have cooked and eaten it many times since, Including this evening.

Pig liver thinly sliced. Red onion thinly sliced. Onions fried slowly in the wok until just beginning to caramelise. Liver added along with any blood. Fried at high heat for one minute and served with thinly sliced cabbage fried in bacon fat with chillies and buttery rough mash.

Not the prettiest dish you'll have seen, but very tasty if I say so myself, which I do.

liver1.thumb.jpg.3fd826861759a32bf0debf82948eec42.jpg

liver2.thumb.jpg.7ec6b4e9d6586945304f82bbca8e8d23.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

The cruellest ordeal  I was put though during my primary and secondary education was the regular serving up of liver and onions at what we "called school" dinner which was lunch in the canteen.  This dish consisted of liver of unknown origin, unseasoned and  boiled to death then drowned in an onion "sauce" powerfully seasoned with charcoal. And that is me being polite.

I didn't eat liver from the day I left school at 18 and headed to university until many, many years later after  I arrived in China. One day, dining with friends and being somewhat distracted, I grabbed something nearby by my chopsticks and absent-mindedly put it into my mouth. It was delicious, so I had some more. Naturally, I enquired as to what this might be. Chinese liver and onions!

Rather than boil it overnight as my school canteen apparently did, the onions were just nicely caramelised and the thinly sliced liver was melting in the mouth from a rapid, brief toss in the wok with green onions and red chillies.

Then,one day, I thought "What would happen if I tried to recreate my school child nightmare dish, but using Chinese techniques." Damn! I liked the results and have cooked and eaten it many times since, Including this evening.

Pig liver thinly sliced. Red onion thinly sliced. Onions fried slowly in the wok until just beginning to caramelise. Liver added along with any blood. Fried at hight heat for one minute and served with thinly sliced cabbage fried in bacon fat with chillies and buttery rough mash.

Not the prettiest dish you'll have seen, but very tasty if I say so myself, which I do.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The cruellest ordeal  I was put though during my primary and secondary education was the regular serving up of liver and onions at what we "called school" dinner which was lunch in the canteen.  This dish consisted of liver of unknown origin, unseasoned and  boiled to death then drowned in an onion "sauce" powerfully seasoned with charcoal. And that is me being polite.

I didn't eat liver from the day I left school at 18 and headed to university until many, many years later I arrived in China. One day, dining with friends and being somewhat distracted, I grabbed something nearby by my chopsticks and put it into my mouth. It was delicious, so I had some more. Naturally, I enquired as to what this might be. Chinese liver and onions!

Then,one day, I thought "What would happen if I tried to recreate my school child nightmare dish, but using Chinese techniques." Damn! I liked the results and have cooked and eaten it many times since, Including this evening.

Pig liver thinly sliced. Red onion thinly sliced. Onions fried slowly in the wok until just beginning to caramelise. Liver added along with any blood. Fried at hight heat for one minute and served with thinly sliced cabbage fried in bacon fat with chillies and buttery rough mash.