• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I love broccoli, even pureed, just not raw.   I would be all over your dinner @liuzhou.  Except for the carrots.  Only vegetable I hate. 

There are sad, deluded fools in the world who think my abhorrence of corn is irrational, so I'm not going criticise your carrot hating.

Many years ago (half a century and more), when I was a stroppy teenager, my family had a loose tradition that whoever was having a birthday chose the birthday dinner. One year, maybe 13 or 14 years old, I decided that what I really wanted was a plate of raw, shredded carrots with vinegar. What was I thinking?

Anyway, they duly prepared it but didn't partake themselves. It was good, but I sat there salivating at whatever they were eating. I still like carrots, but every time I eat them, I remember how embarrassingly stupid I was back then.

A few years later the tradition evolved into choosing which restaurant to eat in - one I kept up with my kids and they have carried on with my grand-kids. I don't think carrots have ever been a feature since my epic fail.

liuzhou

liuzhou

28 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I love broccoli, even pureed, just not raw.   I would be all over your dinner @liuzhou.  Except for the carrots.  Only vegetable I hate. 

There are sad, deluded fools in the world who think my abhorrence of corn is irrational, so I'm not going criticise your carrot hating.

Many years ago (half a century and more), when I was a stroppy teenager, my family had a loose tradition that whoever was having a birthday chose the birthday dinner. One year, maybe 13 or 14 years old, I decided that what I really wanted a plate of raw, shredded carrots with vinegar. What was I thinking?

Anyway, they duly prepared it but didn't partake themselves. It was good, but I sat there salivating at whatever they were eating. I still like carrots, but every time I eat them, I remember how embarrassingly stupid I was back then.

A few years later the tradition evolved into choosing which restaurant to eat in - one I kept up with my kids and they have carried on with my grand-kids. I don't think carrots have ever been a feature since my epic fail.