• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

And my attempt at one of @HungryChris' amazing looking sandwiches:

DSCN8236.JPG.917ed4d0ac8f560c806d8c9db9d421dc.JPG

Needs some work, but it was good.  Along with vegetable soup:

DSCN8237.JPG.0116610b99c3323d92a99fe89b62140b.JPG

@HungryChris – how about a little tutorial on the subject of sub/hoagie making?  For instance – do you use lettuce or cabbage for your gorgeous shreds?

Thank you, I am flattered, to say the least.

Now, let's set the record straight. These are grinders, not hoagies or subs, but grinders. A "regular grinder", AKA a salami grinder, is made as follows:

The grinder roll is split along it's axis, with a bread knife and opened up like a book, with care taken to maintain the remainder of its integrity. Olive oil is then sprinkled along both cut halves of the bread, followed by salt and pepper. Half moon slices of provolone cheese are then placed along the right hand side of the roll, close, but not overlapping. The cheese is then covered by thin, half moon slices of tomato. The other side of the roll is burdened with half moon slices of cooked salami and a generous, fluffy, amount of shredded iceberg lettuce that has been tossed with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper is placed down the middle, covering both the cheese and the salami. A dash of salt and pepper, (and crushed red pepper, if requested) is tossed over the lot. The sandwich is placed on a precut piece of butcher paper. A bread knife is placed along the axis to hold the lettuce in place while the sandwich is folded closed. The sandwich is cut in half and wrapped up tightly in the butcher paper.

This is the commercial setting. I have watched it countless times with great fascination.

Some years ago, at a place I don't really recall, I remember seeing a sign. "diet grinders (with cabbage)". Now, why cabbage with oil and salt and pepper is lower in calories than iceberg lettuce with the same, escapes me,  but, at the time, I was intrigued. Not only that, but I absolutely loved it! That is how I make them at home today. For years, I labored over slicing the cabbage as thin as could be, but found a commercial slicer some years ago on Craig's List and never looked back. Whisper thin sliced cabbage makes all the difference.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@HungryChris – how about a little tutorial on the subject of sub/hoagie making?  For instance – do you use lettuce or cabbage for your gorgeous shreds?

Now, let's set the record straight. These are grinders, not hoagies or subs, but grinders. A "regular grinder", AKA a salami grinder, is made as follows:

The grinder roll is split along it's axis, with a bread knife and opened up like a book, with care taken to maintain its integrity. Olive oil is then sprinkled along both cut halves of the bread, followed by salt and pepper. Half moon slices of provolone cheese are then placed along the right hand side of the roll, close, but not overlapping. The cheese is then covered by thin, half moon slices of tomato. The other side of the roll is burdened with half moon slices of cooked salami and a generous, fluffy, amount of shredded iceberg lettuce that has been tossed with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper is placed down the middle, covering both the cheese and the salami. A dash of salt and pepper, (and crushed red pepper, if requested) is tossed over the lot. The sandwich is placed on a precut piece of butcher paper. A bread knife is placed along the axis to hold the lettuce in place while the sandwich is folded closed. The sandwich is cut in half and wrapped up tightly in the butcher paper.

This is the commercial setting. I have watched it countless times with great fascination.

Some years ago, at a place I don't really recall, I remember seeing a sign. "diet grinders (with cabbage)". Now, why cabbage with oil and salt and pepper is lower in calories than iceberg lettuce with the same, escapes me,  but, at the time, I was intrigued. Not only that, but I absolutely loved it! That is how I make them at home today. For years, I labored over slicing the cabbage as thin as could be, but found a commercial slicer some years ago on Craig's List and never looked back. Whisper thin sliced cabbage makes all the difference.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

The grinder roll is split along it's axis, with a bread knife and opened up like a book, with care taken to maintain its integrity. Olive oil is then sprinkled along both cut halves of the bread, followed by salt and pepper. Half moon slices of provolone cheese are then placed along the right hand side of the roll, close, but not overlapping. The cheese is then covered by thin, half moon slices of tomato. The other side of the roll is burdened with half moon slices of cooked salami and a generous, fluffy amount of shredded iceberg lettuce that has been tossed with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper is placed down the middle, covering both the cheese and the salami. A dash of salt and pepper, (and crushed red pepper, if requested) is tossed over the lot. The sandwich is placed on a precut piece of butcher paper. A bread knife is placed along the axis to hold the lettuce in place while the sandwich is folded closed. The sandwich is cut in half and wrapped up tightly in the butcher paper.

HC