• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Tonight did not go as planned. Does it ever?

I decided to go Thai. First up a bowl of Tom Yum Soup ( ต้มยำกุ้ง ).

This was my downfall. I intended to follow it with a Chicken Massaman Curry ( มัสมั่น ) which I was cooking concurrently.

But back to the soup. The  recipe claimed to serve three to four people. Obviously a mistranslation, because I ate the first bowl and decided that another one was in order. That left just enough for a third bowl which obviously I ate, too. They must have meant three to four bowls!

Anyway, by the time I finished that,  I was feeling rather full, so the partially cooked curry is now resting in the  fridge to allow the flavours to mingle and will doubtless turn up tomorrow night for your viewing pleasure - and my eating pleasure.

Until then, here is soup bowl number one.

ty0.jpg.b5092cfde2bc4fe0458c8d724e1c9f55.jpg

Shrimp, squid and oyster mushrooms in the usual broth with galangal, lemongrass, fish sauce and lime juice. I know the shrimp were fresh because  I carried them home live from the market and they wriggled and squiggled right up until they were dropped into the broth.

ty1.thumb.jpg.cbef9aacbfa9bdb8472e386c43c8d8c5.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Tonight did not go as planned. Does it ever?

I decided to go Thai. First up a bowl of Tom Yum Soup ( ต้มยำกุ้ง ).

This was my downfall. I intended to follow it with a chicken massaman curry ( มัสมั่น ) which I was cooking concurrently.

But back to the soup. The  recipe claimed to serve three to four people. Obviously a mistranslation, because I ate the first bowl and decided that another one was in order. That left just enough for a third bowl which obviously I ate, too. They must have meant three to four bowls!

Anyway, by the times I was feeling rather full, so the partially cooked curry is now resting in the  fridge  to allow the flavours to mingle and will doubtless turn up tomorrow night for your viewing pleasure - and my eating pleasure.

Until then here is soup bowl number one.

ty0.jpg.b5092cfde2bc4fe0458c8d724e1c9f55.jpg

Shrimp, squid and oyster mushrooms in the usual broth with galangal, lemongrass, fish sauce and lime juice. I know the shrimp were fresh because  I carried them home live from the market and they wriggled and squiggled right up until they were dropped into the broth.

ty1.thumb.jpg.cbef9aacbfa9bdb8472e386c43c8d8c5.jpg