• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

correction

@liuzhou

Thank you. I don't know why these intrigue me so much but they do. I guess, like you, I can see endless possibilities and they fit so well into my favorite food group, the sandwich. With your information I went to dear old Google and found these. The first is a recipe, sort of, for corn cakes, free formed. The Second is a good description and an explanation of their history as street food. The really interesting item is a picture of a type of cast iron mold on which they are cooked. From the picture that you showed us on the banquet photo I suspect that something like this was used to make those. I'm going to dust off my bamboo steamer and see what I can come up with. They will have to be corn because I don't think I have even a prayer of finding the sorghum. The combination of corn and brown sugar should duplicate that color perfectly. I make your Rou jia mo all the time. We love them.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

@liuzhou

Thank you. I don't know why these intrigue me so much but they do. I guess, like you, I can see endless possibilities and they fit so well into my favorite food group, the sandwich. With your information I went to dear old Google and found these. The first is a recipe, sort of, for corn cakes, free formed. The Second is a good description and an explanation of their history as street food. The really interesting item is a picture of a type of cast iron mold on which they are cooked. From the picture that you showed us on the banquet photo I suspect that something like this was used to make those. I'm going to dust off my bamboo steamer and see what I can come up with. They will have to be corn because I don't think I have even a prayer of finding the sorghum. The combination of corn and brown sugar should duplicate that color perfectly. I make your Rou jia mo all the time.

second