• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

On 12/6/2017 at 10:19 AM, andiesenji said:

I have several. These are two I use.  The yellow handle one is heavy and the blades are well past the rim so it cuts cleanly. Made by Wilton.

The black one is adjustable and has a cap for the blades, made by AMCO.   Can be set for 8 or 16 segments.  The segments vary just a bit in width but unless you are really picky, it is not a problem.  

The core cutter in the yellow one is smaller so occasionally there will need to be some cleanup of some seed case left in the slices. I just spread them out on the cutting board and use a measuring spoon with a round end. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.15.35 AM.png

Thanks, andie.  I bought an all-metal 8-segment Amco model today.  It also has a blade guard.  Oddly, the coring aspect is octagonal, rather than round.  Surprisingly heavy. 

Re: flat slices, I saw a lighter-weight one of this type that cuts flat slices, i.e., the blades aren't radial.  If you're interested, I'll try to get you brand and model info.

[Edit]  Here's the flat one I saw.  I may get her that one, too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+slicer&client=tablet-android-hms-tmobile-us-noonebox&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcy5CmsvnXAhUL8WMKHWasBfMQ_AUIEigC&biw=600&bih=1024#imgrc=uaKKmtk0moJxjM:

Apple Portioner.jpg

boilsover

boilsover

I have several. These are two I use.  The yellow handle one is heavy and the blades are well past the rim so it cuts cleanly. Made by Wilton.

The black one is adjustable and has a cap for the blades, made by AMCO.   Can be set for 8 or 16 segments.  The segments vary just a bit in width but unless you are really picky, it is not a problem.  

The core cutter in the yellow one is smaller so occasionally there will need to be some cleanup of some seed case left in the slices. I just spread them out on the cutting board and use a measuring spoon with a round end. 

Thanks, andie.  I bought an all-metal 8-segment Amco model today.  It also has a blade guard.  Oddly, the coring aspect is octagonal, rather than round.  Surprisingly heavy. 

Re: flat slices, I saw a lighter-weight one of this type that cuts flat slices, i.e., the blades aren't radial.  If you're interested, I'll try to get you brand and model info.

Apple Portioner.jpg

boilsover

boilsover

Re: flat slices, I saw a lighter-weight one of these that cuts flat slices, i.e., the blades aren't radial.  If you're interested, I'll try to get you brand and model info.

Apple Portioner.jpg

boilsover

boilsover

11 hours ago, andiesenji said: