• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CRANBERRY-APPLE CAKE

CRANBERRY-APPLE CAKE

The worst thing about my cranberry-apple cake is the way it looks. It didn't look impressive, but it was so yummy it disappeared from the baking pan before it had completely cooled down. My children said that it was a colourful apple pie, and it really was something like that. Apples with cinnamon are the basis of apple pie – one of my favourite cakes. However, the sour cranberries make it more fresh and interesting. The crumble topping was, for my son, the most important part of the cake. I had to drive him away, because otherwise the cake would have been deprived of its crunchy top.

Ingredients (18×26cm cake tin ):
dough
200g of flour
150g of butter
3 eggs
1 packet of powdered vanilla blancmange
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
200g of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
pinch of salt
fruit
250g of fresh cranberries
1 apple
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
crumble topping
5 tablespoons of brown sugar
100g of butter
150g of flour

First make the crumble topping. Put the cool butter, flour and sugar in a bowl. Knead them until you have small lumps. Leave it in the fridge.
Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a cake tin with some baking paper.
Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt. Cream the butter with the sugar. Add egg after egg to the butter, stirring constantly. Add the flour, vanilla essence and powdered vanilla blancmange. Mix it together until you have a smooth dough. Put the dough into the cake tin. Wash the apple, remove the apple core and cube it. Mix the cranberries, apple, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Put the fruit on top of the dough. Cover the fruit with the crumble topping. Bake for 50 minutes.

Enjoy your meal!

DSC_0191a.jpg

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Creamy pasta with a spicy pungent flavor.
      Best served with a bold red wine or a dark ale.

Serves four.

Mustard must be added to taste, I find the acidity to be the limiting factor, rather than its pungency, but if your mustard is very strong, you may need to use less and add a touch of vinegar.

400 g dried fettuccine or other wide pasta, or better, an equivalent amount of fresh egg pasta 250-300 champignon or other mushrooms, sliced thinly 3 tsp butter 1 medium onion, diced 4 garlic cloves, minced A small amount of chili 400g spinach leaves, stems removed, cut into ribbons Apx 1/4 cup half and half, or a bit less full fat cream 4-8 tsp Dijon mustard (add to taste), you can include some grainy mustard if you have it at hand Optional: 1 tsp nutritional yeast or a touch of MSG, if you like using it Optional: 1/2 to 1.5 tsp honey or dark brown sugar Salt to taste A generous grating of nutmeg Plenty of black pepper  

Cook mushrooms with some of the butter over high heat until lightly browned. Set aside. Add more of the butter and fry the onion until golden. Add remaining butter, garlic and chili. Fry briefly until aromatic. Cook the pasta very al dente. Drain well. Add it along with the mushroom, spinach and cream. Heat over low flame, until the spinach is wilting. Add mustard to taste, optional nutritional yeast or msg, optional honey or sugar, salt. All to taste. Add vinegar only if needed, add nutmeg. Plate and grind pepper on top.  

• By MightyD
      cakes, cookies, pies, that makes you smile!!!!
    • By Ling
      Ling's Favourite Brownies (revised 08/22/05)
      Serves 10 as Dessert.
      I've been playing around with my brownie recipe for a few months, and I'm pretty happy with this version. Not only is it easy to put together, but it produces the densest, fudgiest brownies I've ever tasted.
      I've used both Scharffen Berger and Valrhona for this recipe. Use whichever chocolate you like, as long as it's of good quality.
      5 oz unsweetened Scharffen Berger chocolate 3 oz bittersweet (70%) Scharffen Berger or Valrhona Guanaja 2 c granulated sugar 1 c butter 1 T vanilla extract 4 eggs 1 c flour (dip and sweep) 2 T cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1. Melt the butter and both types of chocolate over medium heat in a saucepan.
      2. Beat eggs in mixing bowl with a hand mixer on high speed for 4 minutes, until pale.
      3. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract.
      4. Temper the eggs with the chocolate mixture, then add all of the mixture into the bowl.
      5. Slowly incorporate the flour, salt, and cocoa. Beat the batter vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds until the batter looks shiny.
      6. Pour batter into an ungreased, non-stick pan (I use a 9" cake round, and this fits perfectly.) Smooth the top of the batter.
      7. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes (there should be moist crumbs on the skewer when testing for doneness).
      "Serves 10" is just an estimate--the brownies are quite rich, so some may be satisfied with just a sliver. However, if you're like me, half the pan will be gone before you know it. 😉
      Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Chocolate, Snack, Brownies/Bars, American
      ( RG1291 )
    • By Ling
      Ling's Favourite Brownies (revised 08/22/05)
      Serves 10 as Dessert.
      I've been playing around with my brownie recipe for a few months, and I'm pretty happy with this version. Not only is it easy to put together, but it produces the densest, fudgiest brownies I've ever tasted.
      I've used both Scharffen Berger and Valrhona for this recipe. Use whichever chocolate you like, as long as it's of good quality.
      5 oz unsweetened Scharffen Berger chocolate 3 oz bittersweet (70%) Scharffen Berger or Valrhona Guanaja 2 c granulated sugar 1 c butter 1 T vanilla extract 4 eggs 1 c flour (dip and sweep) 2 T cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1. Melt the butter and both types of chocolate over medium heat in a saucepan.
      2. Beat eggs in mixing bowl with a hand mixer on high speed for 4 minutes, until pale.
      3. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract.
      4. Temper the eggs with the chocolate mixture, then add all of the mixture into the bowl.
      5. Slowly incorporate the flour, salt, and cocoa. Beat the batter vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds until the batter looks shiny.
      6. Pour batter into an ungreased, non-stick pan (I use a 9" cake round, and this fits perfectly.) Smooth the top of the batter.
      7. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes (there should be moist crumbs on the skewer when testing for doneness).
      "Serves 10" is just an estimate--the brownies are quite rich, so some may be satisfied with just a sliver. However, if you're like me, half the pan will be gone before you know it. 😉
      Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Chocolate, Snack, Brownies/Bars, American
      ( RG1291 )
    • By meryll_thirteen
      Hi guys! I got excited to post something as this is my first one.
      So, the top 3 desserts I like to eat when I was still in Philippines were Halu-halo (literally means mix-mix in english), brazo de mercedes and chocolate crinkles.

1. HALU-HALO is one of the popular food during summer. This is basically:
      shaved ice with evaporated milk,
      sugar,
      and the following:
      - nata de coco (coconut cream based on a google search, these are cube-like jellies),
      - sweetened red beans,
      - sweetened bananas,
      - cooked sago or tapioca,
      - ube or purple yam,
      - leche flan (this is also one of the best desserts to eat),
      - macapuno (made of coconut),
      - sweetend jackfruit,
      - sweetened kamote (this is similar to sweet potato but caramelized),
      - sweetened kaong (sugar palm fruit)
      - and topped with a scoop of ice cream.
      These fruits are usually bought in jars (found mostly in Asian grocery stores). You basically put the fruits at the bottom, add sugar (if you want because almost all the fruits are sweetened so it's already sweet), then you fill the cup/bowl with shaved ice and add milk. And most importantly, mix it well before you eat because you don't want to eat shaved ice with milk only and then eat the really sweet fruits last.

2. BRAZO DE MERCEDES
      Yah, I think the name is Spanish? I tried making this but I just failed. It's kinda hard to do and takes a lot of patience but it's really worth it. This is my favourite cake! In Philippines, most bakeries sell this but my favourite is from Goldiluck's which is located in shopping malls.
      Brazo de Mercedes recipe

3. CHOCOLATE CRINKLES
      These are my favourite chocolate cookies! I think this one isn't really from Philippines but they are really popular. I was kinda shocked when I came here in Canada, because they don't sell these cookies in the bakeries I've been to so I tried baking these on my own. Since my post is getting long, I'll put the recipe as a link at the bottom.
      http://sweb2.dmit.na...rinkles-recipe/
      I hope you enjoyed my post! Happy eating and baking everyone!