• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Raamo

Raamo

2nd try at Bagels - this time cinnamon raisin bagels!

20171203_150808.thumb.jpg.3709c4daf0736e887111385b1a1f0e01.jpg

I think our yeast needs to be replaced - as they're rather flat.  I proofed them in my steam oven for longer then listed - took forever to get to finger test working, so I think it's just tired old yeast.

They did float in Lye bath this time - so that tells me my first attempt needed to proof longer (and 14 hours in the fridge wasn't enough time)

I used up the prior instant yeast - so I was working on the other container we had (which my wife had been using to make bread pre MB)

They have the crumb of a bagel and the taste of cinnamon raisin so bagel attempt number 2 was mostly successful :)

Raamo

Raamo

2nd try at Bagels - this time cinnamon raisin bagels!

20171203_150808.thumb.jpg.3709c4daf0736e887111385b1a1f0e01.jpg

I think our yeast needs to be replaced - as they're rather flat.  I proofed them in my steam oven for longer then listed - took forever to get to finger test working, so I think it's just tired old yeast.

They did float in Lye bath this time - so that tells me my first attempt needed to proof longer (and 14 hours in the fridge wasn't enough time)

I used up the prior instant yeast - so I was working on the other container we had (which my wife had been using to make bread pre MB)

They are a little flatter then I'd like - but they have the crumb of a bagel and the taste of cinnamon raisin so it's ok :)