• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

Before I go too far down the rabbit hole of canned bread.....wondering about the safety of it.  I've read the sections in volume 3 about pressure cooking loaves, and the section about canned breads, both baked in canning jars and pressure canned in the jars, but there is only one or two sentences about the safety of doing so, which describes how the anaerobic environment in the jar, if it properly vacuum seals during the process, keeps molds from growing. 

But:  what about botulism?   Thinking here about the meticulous care required when working with low-acid foods and canning safety--things cut to the exactly the right dimensions, not substituting things that might be denser/have different heat capacities, to make sure every bit of what is in the jar gets to 240 or 250 degrees to kill the botulism spores.  Bread is normally baked to much lower internal temperatures, and often with inclusions like fruit and nuts that would be verboten to just add to a recipe for soup or stew to be canned. Is any yeasted dough effectively acid enough to be protective?  What about nuts?

I will start as close to one of their recipes as I can stand, of course, milling the flour to match their recommended flours as best I can, but will be very cautious with the inclusions to start.

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

Before I go too far down the rabbit hole of canned bread.....wondering about the safety of it.  I've read the sections in volume 3 about pressure cooking loaves, and the section about canned breads, both baked in canning jars and pressure canned in the jars, but there is only one or two sentences about the safety of doing so, which describes how the anaerobic environment in the jar, if it properly vacuum seals during the process, keeps molds from growing. 

But:  what about botulism?   Thinking here about the meticulous care required when working with low-acid foods and canning safety--things cut to the exactly the right dimensions, not substituting things that might be denser/have different heat capacities, to make sure every bit of what is in the jar gets to 240 or 250 degrees to kill the botulism spores.  Bread is normally baked to much lower internal temperatures, and often with inclusions like fruit and nuts that would be verboten to just add to a recipe for soup or stew to be canned. Is any yeasted dough effectively acid enough to be protective?  What about nuts?

I will start as close to one of their recipes as I can stand, of course, milling the flouwr to match their recommended flours as best I can, but will be very cautious with the inclusions to start.

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank