• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 11/2/2017 at 9:40 AM, Toliver said:

I was going to mention this issue. You can't just install a commercial oven/stove in a house. There are usually strict building codes that need to be followed before such equipment can be installed in a private home. The expense of that alone would certainly rule out commercial equipment in a home.

I'd go with Andie's recommendation of the Hobart dishwasher. When I worked in a campus cafeteria during my college days, the Hobart they used to wash dishes totally rocked. It had a super fast cycle. The racks of dishes didn't need to be dried because they were so hot coming out of the dishwasher that they air-dried in minutes, if not seconds. Yes, it was incredibly loud but the noise was short-lived since the machine was so quick to work.

Having experienced tradesmen who had installed a lot of commercial equipment was not a problem. They wrote up the permit applications, the gas company installed a new meter with the larger 3/4" "demand" fitting with the automatic cut off valve for earthquakes and we had a quick cutoff in the kitchen with a bright red handle, the required 6 feet from the range.  The floor, wall and ceiling was lined with fire brick covered with stainless steel panels.  that extended 3 feet beyond each end of the range.  And that section of the floor had to be lowered and the floor itself reinforced from below (we were on a raised foundation) to carry the weight of the range.  

My husband priced it out and had we had to pay to have all the work done, it would have cost us 18K and that was in 1967/68.  We also installed a separate 40K BTU AC  through the wall in the kitchen to handle the heat when we didn't need AC in the rest of the house.  I can't find a photo that shows the range but this is the wall with the AC and my butcherblock bench.  Beyond that was 12 feet of counter with a sink in the center and on the opposite wall this side of the range was another 12 feet of counters with cabinets below.  At the far end we had what was originally a laundry room but we moved washer and dryer out to the attached garage, removed the big sink and put the big Kelvinator "food-a-rama" 32 cf fridge and an upright freezer out there.  

You see the eggs on the counter. We had a neighbor who sold eggs locally.  They did not require refrigeration.  

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 11.46.38 AM.png

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 11/2/2017 at 9:40 AM, Toliver said:

I was going to mention this issue. You can't just install a commercial oven/stove in a house. There are usually strict building codes that need to be followed before such equipment can be installed in a private home. The expense of that alone would certainly rule out commercial equipment in a home.

I'd go with Andie's recommendation of the Hobart dishwasher. When I worked in a campus cafeteria during my college days, the Hobart they used to wash dishes totally rocked. It had a super fast cycle. The racks of dishes didn't need to be dried because they were so hot coming out of the dishwasher that they air-dried in minutes, if not seconds. Yes, it was incredibly loud but the noise was short-lived since the machine was so quick to work.

Having experienced tradesmen who had installed a lot of commercial equipment was not a problem. They wrote up the permit applications, the gas company installed a new meter with the larger 3/4" "demand" fitting with the automatic cut off valve for earthquakes and we had a quick cutoff in the kitchen with a bright red handle, the required 6 feet from the range.  The floor, wall and ceiling was lined with fire brick covered with stainless steel panels.  that extended 3 feet beyond each end of the range.  And that section of the floor had to be lowered and the floor itself reinforced from below (we were on a raised foundation) to carry the weight of the range.  

My husband priced it out and had we had to pay to have all the work done, it would have cost us 18K and that was in 1967/68.  We also installed a separate 40K BTU AC through the wall in the kitchen to handle the heat.  I can't find a photo that shows the range but this is the wall with the AC and my butcherblock bench.  Beyond that was 12 feet of counter with a sink in the center and on the opposite wall this side of the range was another 12 feet of counters with cabinets below.  At the far end we had what was originally a laundry room but we moved washer and dryer out to the attached garage, removed the big sink and put the big Kelvinator "food-a-rama" 32 cf fridge and an upright freezer out there.  

You see the eggs on the counter. We had a neighbor who sold eggs locally.  They did not require refrigeration.  

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 11.46.38 AM.png