• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MokaPot

MokaPot

add spaces betw. paragraphs

Asking for help, please, with soft-boiled eggs.

My goal is runny yolks with the whites fully set. I’m not super interested in a two-step process, but would consider a really easy 2nd step. After a lot of experimentation (stovetop cook in water), I’ve been unable to achieve the runny yolk and fully set white(s). My compromise is to cook the eggs long enough to set up the whites and accept that the yolk is also set-up as well.

According to my research, the yolks and whites set up at different temperatures (the yolk sets up at a lower temperature). Further, there are two parts to the egg white and, I think, those two different parts set up at different temperatures as well.

I don’t have a sous vide machine. I would use sous vide mainly for eggs, so won’t get one unless I can achieve the soft yolk / set egg white. Even though the sous vide results posted above look great, I can still see that the whites are not set up. IMO, the sous vide yolk looks good even though it’s not runny.

Does anybody have a one-step method (with maybe an easy 2nd step) to achieve the runny yolk and set-up white (stovetop and/or sous vide)?

Thank you!

MokaPot

MokaPot

Asking for help, please, with soft-boiled eggs.

My goal is runny yolks with the whites fully set. I’m not super interested in a two-step process, but would consider a really easy 2nd step.

After a lot of experimentation (stovetop cook in water), I’ve been unable to achieve the runny yolk and fully set white(s). My compromise is to cook the eggs long enough to set up the whites and accept that the yolk is also set-up as well.

According to my research, the yolks and whites set up at different temperatures (the yolk sets up at a lower temperature). Further, there are two parts to the egg white and, I think, those two different parts set up at different temperatures as well.

I don’t have a sous vide machine. I would use sous vide mainly for eggs, so won’t get one unless I can achieve the soft yolk / set egg white. Even though the sous vide results posted above look great, I can still see that the whites are not set up. IMO, the sous vide yolk looks good even though it’s not runny.

Does anybody have a one-step method (with maybe an easy 2nd step) to achieve the runny yolk and set-up white (stovetop and/or sous vide)?

Thank you!