• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 10/22/2017 at 11:32 AM, rotuts said:

@gfweb  

its dangerous to think one might go back in time and do certain things that one never got to :

for me :

Espalier trees   ( there was a lace on long island that had them for N.E. with 4 branches each side

but for me , being a member of Long Standing at the

https://nysaes.cals.cornell.edu

it was about Pears  , FR. pears

the kind that were small and only fruited every other year ....

and having a Mushroom  log system outside.

a big one .

now I fiddle and faddle  and pouch Return

this is not a complaint 

I visited Cornell back in late 1956 when I was in baking school at Dunwoodie in Minneapolis.  We went by rail, the Great Northern from St.Paul to Chicago and the Erie railroad to Corning because one of our instructors had wangled us a free stay at a resort-like country inn, along with free transport to and from Cornell which was about a half hour drive away.  They were studying bread baking in depth and experimenting with various strains of yeast, optimum temperatures, etc.  

I nearly went back some twenty years later when I attended a conference for glass artists at Corning.  The place where we had stayed in '56 was now a big Raddison hotel. We stayed at the even larger Hilton because the conference group got really great discounts.  

I experimented with espaliered fruit trees when I lived down in the Valley and had just under 2 acres.  Apples, 3 varieties as I recall, Pears, I think I had 4 varieties - including the little seckel and forelle pears grafted onto the same rootstock, which produced heavily the 3rd year, Comice and Anjous, red and green. And there was another, name I can't recall.  

I also did apricots, peaches and  we tried some citrus but they did not do well.

The BEST espalier was  two plums, grafted on a 10-year-old rootstock Damson, the two scions were Satsuma and Victoria and both bore amazing amounts of fruit the 4th year.  These were all planted against two concrete block walls, one facing south and one facing west.  

I also grew mushrooms for a couple of years.  A couple of my friends, as a joke, gifted me with 4 of the mushroom "kits"  for different types of mushrooms.  One was oyster mushrooms, two were Shiitake and one was Portobellos.  I put them in a spare bathroom that I didn't use.  Blackout curtains.  Kept it humid during the really dry seasons.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

@gfweb  

its dangerous to think one might go back in time and do certain things that one never got to :

for me :

Espalier trees   ( there was a lace on long island that had them for N.E. with 4 branches each side

a big one .

this is not a complaint 

I visited Cornell back in late 1956 when I was in baking school at Dunwoodie in Minneapolis.  We went by rail, the Great Northern from St.Paul to Chicago and the Erie railroad to Corning because one of our instructors had wangled us a free stay at a resort-like country inn, along with free transport to and from Cornell which was about a half hour drive away.  They were studying bread baking in depth and experimenting with various strains of yeast, optimum temperatures, etc.  

I nearly went back some twenty years later when I attended a conference for glass artists at Corning.  The place where we had stayed in '56 was now a big Raddison hotel. We stayed at the even larger Hilton because the conference group got really great discounts.  

I experimented with espaliered fruit trees when I lived down in the Valley and had just under 2 acres.  Apples, 3 varieties as I recall, Pears, I think I had 4 varieties - including the little seckel and forelle pears grafted onto the same rootstock, which produced heavily the 3rd year, Comice and Anjous, red and green. And there was another, name I can't recall.  

I also did apricots, peaches and  we tried some citrus but they did not do well.

The BEST espalier was  two plums, grafted on a 10-year-old rootstock Damson, the two scions were Satsuma and Victoria and both bore amazing amounts of fruit the 4th year.  These were all planted against two concrete block walls, one facing south and one facing west.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

@gfweb  

for me :

a big one .

this is not a complaint