• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I have a bunch of thermometers.

I'll start with a couple of my favorites....

I absolutely love the ThermoWorks Dot—I keep a Dot probe in the oven at all times so I can adjust the oven temperature more precisely.

I usually leave it on all the time....forget to turn it off. The batteries last a LONG time!

And the oven knob temperature markings have wore off anyway! >:(

Although I do have a Classic Super-Fast® Thermapen® (2-3 second readings.)

I much prefer the ThermoWorks Super-Fast® Pocket Thermometer (RT600C) (5-6 second readings.)

I almost never use the Thermapen!

I start taking the temperature of stuff 3 seconds early—makes the pocket thermometer just as fast as the Thermapen! xD

The pocket thermometer isn't as bulky as the Thermapen and I can place it in a beaker or the like without it being top-heavy like the Thermapen.

ETA: The Dot has a magnet on the back. I stick it to the range hood.

:smile:

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I absolutely love the ThermoWorks Dot—I keep a Dot probe in the oven at all times so I can adjust the oven temperature more precisely.

I usually leave it on all the time....forget to turn it off. The batteries last a LONG time!

I much prefer the ThermoWorks Super-Fast® Pocket Thermometer (RT600C) (5-6 second readings.)

I start taking the temperature of stuff 3 seconds early—makes the pocket thermometer just as fast as the Thermapen! xD

The pocket thermometer isn't as bulky as the Thermapen and I can place it in a beaker or the like without it being as top-heavy as the Thermapen.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I start taking the temperature of stuff 3 seconds sooner—makes the pocket thermometer just as fast as the Thermapen! xD

The pocket thermometer isn't as bulky as the Thermapen and I can place it in a beaker or the like without it being as top-heavy as the Thermapen.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I start taking the temperature of stuff 3 seconds sooner—makes the pocket thermometer just as fast as the Thermapen! xD