• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Desiderio

Desiderio

A year late on this, but I have been curious about this chocolate, like everyone else. Trader Joe's is not selling it anymore and I guess it pays off to work in food, cause I just got a sample. It was waiting for me on my desk this morning (yay, cause I am on almost 60 hours this week 😓). 

After all I have read about it, I was a bit put off, but still, I want to know what it tastes like, right?!

Like others have said, I don't hate it and I think it could make some interesting things. I smell cocoa butter, fruity coco butter, it melts really easily on the hands, flavor isn't too sweet like a white chocolate and it finishes slightly sour, but very faintly (although, everyone will taste different things, I am not totally sure my taste buds are working right anymore :-P).

There was a facts sheet with the sample, the same info you can find online on their website. They say the best way to use it is to leave it unadulterated as much as possible.

I am thinking a butter ganache, maybe dipped in a thin layer of a nice super fruity El Rey milk 56%, https://chocolates-elrey.com/special-reserve its an amazing chocolate I have picked last time I made chocolates for the holidays. But chances are the flavor wouldn't stand a chance with that monster of a milk. Maybe when its a bit cooler I'll order a smaller bag, and play around with it (my supplier doesn't carry it).

More to play with, I am excited about that.

1636640563_rubychocolate.thumb.jpg.af2047908284d04b3047eff8a8ba7fce.jpg852735928_rubychocolate2.thumb.jpg.d497efbf9c4f3447d8d31eae8c18b611.jpg1764314517_Rubychocolate1.thumb.jpg.9f365ba3f178dd0aeb5afa6072b58d00.jpg

Desiderio

Desiderio

A year late on this, but I have been curious about this chocolate, like everyone else. Trader Joe's is not selling it anymore and I guess it pays off to work in food, cause I just got a sample. It was waiting for me on my desk this morning (yay, cause I am on almost 60 hours this week 😓). 

After all I have read about it, i was a bit put off, but still, I want to know what it tastes like, right?!

Like others have said, I don't hate it and I think it could make some interesting things. I smell cocoa butter, fruity coco butter, it melts really easily on the hands, flavor isn't too sweet like a white chocolate and it finishes slightly sour, but very faintly (although, everyone will taste different things, I am not totally sure my taste buds are working right anymore :-P).

There was a facts sheet with the sample, the same info you can find online on their website. They say the best way to use it is to leave it unadulterated as much as possible.

I am thinking a butter ganache, maybe dipped in a thin layer of a nice super fruity El Rey milk 56%, https://chocolates-elrey.com/special-reserve its an amazing chocolate I have picked last time I made chocolates for the holidays. But chances are the flavor wouldn't stand a chance with that monster of a milk. Maybe when its a bit cooler I'll order a smaller bag, and play around with it (my supplier doesn't carry it).

More to play with, I am excited about that.

1636640563_rubychocolate.thumb.jpg.af2047908284d04b3047eff8a8ba7fce.jpg852735928_rubychocolate2.thumb.jpg.d497efbf9c4f3447d8d31eae8c18b611.jpg1764314517_Rubychocolate1.thumb.jpg.9f365ba3f178dd0aeb5afa6072b58d00.jpg