• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Schwerma

muon

Ultimately -- without a doubt. My singular obsession (as far as this thread goes) is finding the ultimate chicken schwerma in New York -- a mini-me of Zankou. What I miss from LA is that good -- it would be a serious contender if I were ever to happen to find myself on death row, and planning a menu.

Typically, I don't eat significant amounts at a single sitting. Today, I had to limit myself to a chicken schwerma and a kibbee -- I was by myself. The kibbee was good, but today was all about the schwerma. The initial take was a little off because I didn't order it the right way. Take two was significantly closer to what I was looking for.

If I was with someone else, there were a number of other things I would have liked to share:

-- kafta

-- makanek

-- sujok

-- babaghanouj

-- tabouleh

-- dolmos/grape leaves

-- lentil soup

-- fool mddammas

When I go back to Karam, I'll bring a larger crew and diversify my selections somewhat. Man cannot live by schwerma alone!

I must disagree with your sentiment on Karam. The chicken sandwich is a true work of balance and flavors. It is also high quality and sometimes fat, which is the way it is supposed to be. Karam's food is New York's best Lebanese and it is quite shocking what comes out of that kitchen. I'm talking heads, entrails etc.

Ok when and if you go back to Karam, I have another for you to try:

Mazza Plaza

8002 5th Ave

Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

718 238 9576

I've gone there a couple of times and think the chicken schwarma bears more exploration. Also, they bill themselves as having the "Famous Bay Ridge Chef Joseph Karam." Don't know if its any relation to THE Karam?

I must disagree with your sentiment on Karam.  The chicken sandwich is a true work of balance and flavors.  It is also high quality and sometimes fat, which is the way it is supposed to be. Karam's food is New York's best Lebanese and it is quite shocking what comes out of that kitchen. I'm talking heads, entrails etc.

Steve -- appreciate your thoughts.

Just to clarify I think that Karam is very good, and so far the best schwerma (schwarma/schawarma/schawerma, et. al.) that I've found in New York. I can see how my post appears highly critical -- that wasn't my true intention. While I feel like their chicken sandwich is good -- from my perspective what can be had from Zankou, in LA, is significantly better. I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison with those that share an interest in this topic, and have been helpful in pointing me to some local possibilities.

Just to be clear, I have an subjective standard against which my comparisons are based. Whether or not that's reasonable, or I'll find exactly what I'm looking for, remains to be seen. I've come pretty close at Karam, and I'll definitely be back.

Also -- I appreciate that Karam may be more authentic Lebanese than what I've experienced to date (admittedly not a very broad experience). Subjectively however, I found it more fatty than I would prefer, or have had in the past. I am also not fond of chicken gristle. Again, I think my post is being interpreted as being more critical that I really intended it to be. I noted finding the gristle, well, because it was a notable. Let me stress though that this only happened in one of the three sandwiches I had, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's also happened to diners at Zankou ... just luckily not me. It wouldn't have stopped me from going back there though.

As I try these other places, I'll also try to experience the other great wonders of Lebanese cuisine in the city. But I won't give up on my primary mission. :biggrin:

Edited by muon (log)