• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

On 7/20/2017 at 4:28 PM, Fernwood said:

@Porthos, If you're grating rather than shredding with the food processor, does that mean you are using the steel blade, rather than a disc?  Does the Monterey Jack grate nicely that way?  The kind I usually get is significantly softer than cheddar and I feel that it might get clumpy, but I'm just speculating.

@Fernwood, I have always cut Monterey Jack or Mozzarella into large chunks (which will fit in the feed tube) and put those in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Then the cheese is hard enough to shred well with the Cuisinart medium shredding blade. Give the blade a quick rinse under hot water to remove any stuck lumps and put as is into the dishwasher.

TdeV

TdeV

On 7/20/2017 at 4:28 PM, Fernwood said:

@Porthos, If you're grating rather than shredding with the food processor, does that mean you are using the steel blade, rather than a disc?  Does the Monterey Jack grate nicely that way?  The kind I usually get is significantly softer than cheddar and I feel that it might get clumpy, but I'm just speculating.

@Fernwood, I have always cut Monterey Jack into large chunks (which will fit in the feed tube) and put those in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Then the cheese is hard enough to shred well with the Cuisinart medium shredding blade