• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

My son is a fan or KANSAS whiskey which is a blend of neutral grain alcohol and some kind of whiskey, not unlike blended Scotch.  I was in the liquor store to pick up a bottle for him and the owner pointed out two other whiskeys made in Kansas City.  I collect labels for decorative reasons and here are the ones from J. Reiger which we tried this week.  The back label says it is a pre Prohibition style blend of corn, malt and rye with a little bit of 15 year old Oloroso Sherry which gives it a very smooth finish.  After I removed the label, I noticed that the back of the labels has a gentleman (J. Reiger?). It took a few minutes to figure out the other one but with a bit of the Kansas river showing, it must be an old map of Kansas City.  Charlie and I  like it alot.  Next one to try is Pendergast whiskey. Tom Pendergast was a prohibition era political boss. He bought whiskey by the barrel and re bottled it under his name.  He is said to have played a part in getting Harry Truman started in his political career. 

20170713_180549.jpg

20170713_180602.jpg

20170713_180646.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

My son is a fan or KANSAS whiskey which is a blend of neutral grain alcohol and some kind or whiskey, not unlike blended Scotch.  I was in the liquor store to pick up a bottle for him and the owner pointed out two other whiskeys made in Kansas City.  I collect labels for decorative reasons and here are the ones from J. Reiger which we tried this week.  The back label says it is a pre Prohibition style blend of corn, malt and rye with a little bit of 15 year old Oloroso Sherry which gives it a very smooth finish.  After I removed the label, I noticed that the back of the labels has a gentleman (J. Reiger?). It took a few minutes to figure out the other one but with a bit of the Kansas river showing, it must be an old map of Kansas City.  Charlie and I  like it alot.  Next one to try is Pendergast whiskey. Tom Pendergast was a prohibition era political boss. He bought whiskey by the barrel and re bottled it under his name.  He is said to have played a part in getting Harry Truman started in his political career. 

20170713_180549.jpg

20170713_180602.jpg

20170713_180646.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

My son is a fan or KANSAS whiskey which is a blend of neutral grain alcohol and some kind or whiskey, not unlike blended Scotch.  I was in the liquor store to pick up a bottle for him and the owner pointed out two other whiskeys made in Kansas City.  I collect labels for decorative reasons and here are the ones from J. Reiger which we tried this week.  The back label says it is a pre Prohibition style blend of corn, malt and rye with a little bit of 15 year old Oloroso Sherry which gives it a very smooth finish.  After I removed the label, I noticed for the first time that the back of the labels has a gentleman (J. Reiger?) and an old map of Kansas City.  Charlie and I  like it alot.  Next one to try is Pendergast whiskey. Tom Pendergast was a prohibition era political boss. He bought whiskey by the barrel and re bottled it under his name.  He is said to have played a part in getting Harry Truman started in his political career. 

20170713_180549.jpg

20170713_180602.jpg

20170713_180646.jpg