• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mgaretz

mgaretz

3 hours ago, lindag said:

You got me at Cabbage Soup.  Can you point to a recipe?

(my recipe, adapted from my slow cooker recipe, at my blog)

Instant Pot Cabbage Soup

Ingredients:
1 can of tomato sauce (14.5 oz can)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of water (use the sauce can to get the sauce that sticks to sides)
1 small to medium cabbage, de-cored and cut into 8 wedges then cut the wedges in half and separate
1 medium yellow onion cut into 1” wedges and separated
1 pound of carrots, peeled and cut into ½” slices (or more if you like carrots)
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
6 tbs sugar – to taste
2 lbs of stew meat 1” chunks (chuck is the best, but almost any cut will work)

Method:
Combine all of the ingredients except the carrots in the IP, cabbage goes in last.  Stir it up a bit.  Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release.  Stir in the carrots and cook for another 6 minutes on high pressure with a 15 minute (to full) natural release.  Serve!

Notes:  I use an 8 qt IP, for a 6 qt you may want to pre-wilt the cabbage by microwaving it for a few minutes so that you can fit it all in. As I am thinking about it, you could also try adding as much cabbage as you can, then add the rest with the carrots.   There is no need to pre-brown the meat.  

cabbage-soup-ip4.jpg.b8cd05ffaf3892eff995ff92c846d6c1.jpg

mgaretz

mgaretz

3 hours ago, lindag said:

You got me at Cabbage Soup.  Can you point to a recipe?

(my recipe, adapted from my slow cooker recipe, at my blog)

Instant Pot Cabbage Soup

Ingredients:
1 can of tomato sauce (14.5 oz can)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of water (use the sauce can to get the sauce that sticks to sides)
1 small to medium cabbage, de-cored and cut into 8 wedges then cut the wedges in half and separate
1 medium yellow onion cut into 1” wedges and separated
1 pound of carrots, peeled and cut into ½” slices (or more if you like carrots)
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
6 tbs sugar – to taste
2 lbs of stew meat 1” chunks (chuck is the best, but almost any cut will work)

Method:
Combine all of the ingredients except the carrots in the IP, cabbage goes in last.  Stir it up a bit.  Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release.  Stir in the carrots and cook for another 6 minutes on high pressure with a 15 minute (to full) natural release.  Serve!

Notes:  I use an 8 qt IP, for a 6 qt you may want to pre-wilt the cabbage by microwaving it for a few minutes.  There is no need to pre-brown the meat.  

cabbage-soup-ip4.jpg.b8cd05ffaf3892eff995ff92c846d6c1.jpg