• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

divalasvegas

divalasvegas

Additional comments.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Like @Smithy, I've never found any meat left from making stock worth much other than pampering the dog. I use a carcass, however much meat is left clinging to it, skin and wings that didn't get eaten, a halved or quartered onion and four or five cloves of garlic. I don't salt it. I let it go 90 minutes and then however long on "keep warm" until I get around to doing something with it. I use the steamer basket to hold all my solids, so I just lift that out and chunk the contents. Then I run the pot through a couple of cycles of saute with the lid off, to reduce it by about half, and pour it into a baby food keeper thingy that lets me freeze about half-cup portions. When they're frozen, I pop them out and stash them in a zip-lock, label it as to what kind of stock, and back in the freezer they go. At present, I have bags of chicken, ham and beef stock in there. It's simple enough to add the water back in when you're using it.

I've been told it works well to keep all sorts of veggie scraps frozen and when you have enough, make vegetable stock. Onion trimmings, carrot peels, broccoli stems, and so on. Have never tried that.

Hi kayb. I really haven't properly outfitted my IP yet. I definitely want that steamer basket, a tempered glass lid and a 7-inch spring form pan. 

The whole turkey wings I get are pretty huge--probably will only need two--and I am such a turkey wing lover so I think that I might experiment with cooking them along with the usual suspects (carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, parsley, thyme) for maybe half or a third of the 90 minutes you do. Like I said above, any stock I get will be tastier than just plain water and flour and what I don't use for gravy can be used in my turkey vegetable soup along with any turkey scraps.

Thanks for the great tip about running the pot through the saute cycle; hadn't thought of that.

I think it's really dangerous hanging out with you 'cause those baby food thingies are just too damned cute! My MasterCard still has skid marks from all my recent shopping.☺ As a matter of fact this just arrived two days ago:

810190785_th(1).jpeg.a327359c41c95548ec5c869a7e08bd1d.jpeg

It's the latest version of the Oster Countertop Convection Oven and, oh yes, it's red!

divalasvegas

divalasvegas

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Like @Smithy, I've never found any meat left from making stock worth much other than pampering the dog. I use a carcass, however much meat is left clinging to it, skin and wings that didn't get eaten, a halved or quartered onion and four or five cloves of garlic. I don't salt it. I let it go 90 minutes and then however long on "keep warm" until I get around to doing something with it. I use the steamer basket to hold all my solids, so I just lift that out and chunk the contents. Then I run the pot through a couple of cycles of saute with the lid off, to reduce it by about half, and pour it into a baby food keeper thingy that lets me freeze about half-cup portions. When they're frozen, I pop them out and stash them in a zip-lock, label it as to what kind of stock, and back in the freezer they go. At present, I have bags of chicken, ham and beef stock in there. It's simple enough to add the water back in when you're using it.

I've been told it works well to keep all sorts of veggie scraps frozen and when you have enough, make vegetable stock. Onion trimmings, carrot peels, broccoli stems, and so on. Have never tried that.

Hi kayb. I really haven't properly outfitted my IP yet. I definitely want that steamer basket, a tempered glass lid and a 7-inch spring form pan. 

The whole turkey wings I get are pretty huge--probably will only need two--and I am such a turkey wing lover so I think that I might experiment with cooking them along with the usual suspects (carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, parsley, thyme) for maybe half or a third of the 90 minutes you do. Like I said above, any stock I get will be tastier than just plain water and flour and what I don't use for gravy can be used in my turkey vegetable soup along with any turkey scraps.

Thanks for the great tip about running the pot through the saute cycle; hadn't thought of that.

I think it's really dangerous hanging out with you 'cause those baby food thingies are just too damned cute! My MasterCard still has skid marks from all my recent shopping.☺