• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

how Brioche-ey was it ?

I'd say it's like halfway decent day-old brioche that got put into a plastic bag.  It's something I'd use for toast or French toast but I wouldn't serve it on its own as I would do with a perfect fresh-baked version.

To me, the charm of a fresh brioche is the textural contrast between the delicate, but still slightly crispy/chewy crust and the buttery, soft interior.  Once you put it in a plastic bag, the crust gets soft so that's lost.

The crumb is finer and more even than my dream brioche.  It's rich and buttery but not quite as buttery as an all-butter version. Overall, more manufactured than hand-crafted.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

how Brioche-ey was it ?

I'd say it's like halfway decent day-old brioche that got put into a plastic bag.  It's something I'd use for toast or French toast but I wouldn't serve it on it's own as I would do with a perfect fresh-baked version.

To me, the charm of a fresh brioche is the textural contrast between the delicate, but still slightly crispy/chewy crust and the buttery, soft interior.  Once you put it in a plastic bag, the crust gets soft so that's lost.

The crumb is finer and more even than my dream brioche.  It's rich and buttery but not quite as buttery as an all-butter version. Overall, more manufactured than hand-crafted.