• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Madsandersen

Madsandersen

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

What I currently do (always subject to change as more information comes in) is to use paper towels moistened with hot water to remove as much chocolate left on the mold edges as I can (yes, I know there shouldn't be any, but... I'm still learning, and I desperately want to keep my drain clear of solidified cocoa butter), then wash the molds with a new sponge using  dishwashing liquid (Dawn, to be precise) and hot water, rinse them thoroughly in hot water, soak them a while in a solution of bleach and water (as required by the food safety regulations), and let them air-dry in a drainer. Before use I polish them with a cotton cloth. I freely admit, in view of what others have said about not bothering to polish, this may just be superstition, but I still do it.

I just realized that my 140$ airbrush with 0,3 mm nozzle and 25 PSI was a big mistake! I am able to buy a HVLP gun with 0,8 mm nozzle for 47$ and connect it to my own big compressor, then adjust the pressure down to around 3 bar and wola! :D  (apparently the airbrush is sold by a car painting company, but what should that matter?)

Madsandersen

Madsandersen

34 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

What I currently do (always subject to change as more information comes in) is to use paper towels moistened with hot water to remove as much chocolate left on the mold edges as I can (yes, I know there shouldn't be any, but... I'm still learning, and I desperately want to keep my drain clear of solidified cocoa butter), then wash the molds with a new sponge using  dishwashing liquid (Dawn, to be precise) and hot water, rinse them thoroughly in hot water, soak them a while in a solution of bleach and water (as required by the food safety regulations), and let them air-dry in a drainer. Before use I polish them with a cotton cloth. I freely admit, in view of what others have said about not bothering to polish, this may just be superstition, but I still do it.

I just realized that my 140$ airbrush with 0,3 mm nozzle and 25 PSI was a big mistake! I am able to buy a HVLP gun with 0,8 mm nozzle for 47$ and connect it to my own big compressor, then adjust the pressure down to around 3 PSI and wola! :D  (apparently the airbrush is sold by a car painting company, but what should that matter?)