• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

10 hours ago, Bentley said:

Also, how come my gold cocoa butter (from Chef Rubber) is never that metallic and shiny.  It comes out looking more yellow - as in this picture from a recent bonbon run.

I could be wrong, but it looks as if there is milk chocolate behind your gold. That happens to me (with that same cocoa butter) when there isn't something else behind it--such as white chocolate or white cocoa butter. A dark or milk chocolate behind the gold subdues its color.

Jim D.

Jim D.

3 hours ago, Bentley said:

Also, how come my gold cocoa butter (from Chef Rubber) is never that metallic and shiny.  It comes out looking more yellow - as in this picture from a recent bonbon run.

I could be wrong, but it looks as if there is milk chocolate behind your gold. That happens to me (with that same cocoa butter) when there isn't something else behind it--such a white chocolate or white cocoa butter. A dark or milk chocolate behind the gold subdues its color.