• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Paul Fink said:

I'm surprised no one here knows of powdered vanilla

I have multiple different 'powdered vanillas' in the house - vanillin crystals (synthetic), the vanilla powder sachets sold in european grocery stores (synthetic), vanilla powder maltodextrin based from the Spice House, Massey vanilla powder - also maltodextrin, and vanilla beans that I removed from extract that I made, freeze dried then ground to a powder. Each have their uses for me. 

I have several pounds of various vanilla beans tucked away - from which I have made many, many gallons of extract. I have multiple extracts that I have purchased or received as samples at trade shows.

And I would still argue that the flavor of the Gold Medal artificial extract beats most of these and not just in baking! In the kitchen up north - I used to lock away the good Haitian vanilla when I left so it would be there when I returned - now it's the Gold Medal. 

Don't knock it until you have tried it.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Paul Fink said:

I'm surprised no one here knows of powdered vanilla

I have multiple different 'powdered vanillas' in the house - vanillin crystals (synthetic), the vanilla powder sachets sold in european grocery stores (synthetic), vanilla powder maltodextrin based from the Spice House, Massey vanilla powder - also maltodextrin, and vanilla beans that I removed from extract that I made, freeze dried then ground to a powder. Each have their uses for me. 

I have several pounds of various vanilla beans tucked away - from which I have made many, many gallons of extract. I have multiple extracts that I have purchased or received as samples at trade shows.

And I would still argue that the flavor of the Gold Medal artificial extract beats most of these and not just in baking!