• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

helenjp

helenjp

Since I've been living in Japan for decades now, I understand this problem very well. My husband only occasionally enjoys dishes made from "stewing" cuts, because he doesn't really appreciate the kind of dish where meat taste permeates everything. Meat tends to be quite highly seasoned because it will be a distinctive accent eaten with a fairly high proportion of bland rice or noodles or vegetables. Going for very lightly cooked steak with that serving style is like trying to sub raw tomato salad for salsa or ketchup.

Other cuisines where well-cooked meats accompany starches are a good fit for our table too - Middle-Eastern and Indian dishes, for example.

I think the original poster's problem may be less about cooking methods, and more about cuts of meat - is there any kind of East or SE Asian meat store where you live, or have you considered trying mail order to get the thinly sliced meats that work best for SE Asian food? Alternatively, you could try chilling or partially freezing your meat and slicing it thinly yourselves.

My DH does enjoy steak, but he's a well-done guy too - so we save steak for western-style meals where "his" plate's contents never wander onto "her" plate.

helenjp

helenjp

Since I've been living in Japan for decades now, I understand this problem very well. My husband only occasionally enjoys dishes made from "stewing" cuts, because he doesn't really appreciate the kind of dish where meat taste permeates everything. Meat tends to be quite highly seasoned because it will be a distinctive accent eaten with a fairly high proportion of bland rice or noodles or vegetables). Going for very lightly cooked steak with that serving style is like trying to sub raw tomato salad for salsa or ketchup.

Other cuisines where well-cooked meats accompany starches are a good fit for our table too - Middle-Eastern and Indian dishes, for example.

I think the original poster's problem may be less about cooking methods, and more about cuts of meat - is there any kind of East or SE Asian meat store where you live, or have you considered trying mail order to get the thinly sliced meats that work best for SE Asian food? Alternatively, you could try chilling or partially freezing your meat and slicing it thinly yourselves.

My DH does enjoy steak, but he's a well-done guy too - so we save steak for western-style meals where "his" plate's contents never wander onto "her" plate.