• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

daveb

daveb

The class has come and gone.  I used 2 Anova V1 and 4 Anova V2 (bluetooth) units and 1 Polyscience unit.  

Timers on the V1 units were an easy day.  You want to set time?  Push the "Set Timer" button.  You want to set temp? Push the "Set Temperature" button.  You want to start it?  Push the "Start" button.  It's almost as if someone wanted to make it easy to use.

The V2 units were (are) a PIA.  I hate the effing wheel for the temp, and even having read instructions multiple times cannot get to the timer function on a repeatable basis.  Controlling via bluetooth is ok but as we know you can't control multiples.  Instead we used different timers and blue tape with start and stop times and it still became a circus.  Fortunately sous vide provides some leeway and all foods hit minimums and none were overdone.   I don't want to sound too harsh, do like and use my V2 a lot.

Off topic but interesting: The owner of the culinary store had just returned from the housewares show in Chicago.  Anova/Electrolux showed no interest in discussing distribution with specialty retailers instead they'll continue with Amazon, BBB, and even Wallymart.  A lot of the specialty retailers in his buying group are liking Sansaire and his store will soon carry them.  Polyscience is strongly suggesting they are close to a deal with Breville for distribution and customer support (this has been floated for a couple years but this time they mean it.....)  No word on any price reduction and the specialty retailers are realizing that the 3x price premium is not working with their customers. 

daveb

daveb

The class has come and gone.  I used 2 Anova V1 and 4 Anova V2 (bluetooth) units and 1 Polyscience unit.  

Timers on the V1 units were an easy day.  You want to set time?  Push the "Set Timer" button.  You want to set temp? Push the "Set Temperature" button.  You want to start it?  Push the "Start" button.  It's almost as if someone wanted to make it easy to use.

The V2 units were (are) a PIA.  I hate the effing wheel for the temp, and even having read instructions multiple times cannot get to the timer function on a repeatable basis.  Controlling via bluetooth is ok but as we know you can't control multiples.  Instead we used different timers and blue tape with start and stop times and it still became a circus.  Fortunately sous vide provides some leeway and all foods hit minimums and none were overdone.  

Off topic but interesting: The owner of the culinary store had just returned from the housewares show in Chicago.  Anova/Electrolux showed no interest in discussing distribution with specialty retailers instead they'll continue with Amazon, BBB, and even Wallymart.  A lot of the specialty retailers in his buying group are liking Sansaire and his store will soon carry them.  Polyscience is strongly suggesting they are close to a deal with Breville for distribution and customer support (this has been floated for a couple years but this time they mean it.....)  No word on any price reduction and the specialty retailers are realizing that the 2.5 price premium is not working with their customers.