• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Paul Fink

Paul Fink

11 hours ago, dscheidt said:

Not if there's good conductivity between the ceramic and the steel.  The ceramic has a higher heat capacity (it requires more joules to raise it to a given temperature) than the steel does.  The steel has a higher rate of heat transfer, which is why some people prefer it for some tasks.  When you put someting on the steel to cook, it will transfer heat into the thing that's being cooked, and cool off.  If there's a good conductive transfer between the steel and the stone, the stone will transfer heat into the steel, increasing the amount heat dumped into the food.  When you take the food out, as long as the stone is still hotter than the steel, it will continue to transfer heat into the steel.  That gets the steel up to temperature again faster. 

That's the theory.  I doubt it makes much difference, because the bond between the two is so poor. 

You have the physics correct. I say its redundant because if the steel is thick it has good heat capacity.

The ceramic has  higher heat capacity per mass but a 1/4" thick hunk of steel is going to be heavier 

than that pizza stone. Think caste iron fry pan.

Paul Fink

Paul Fink

11 hours ago, dscheidt said:

Not if there's good conductivity between the ceramic and the steel.  The ceramic has a higher heat capacity (it requires more joules to raise it to a given temperature) than the steel does.  The steel has a higher rate of heat transfer, which is why some people prefer it for some tasks.  When you put someting on the steel to cook, it will transfer heat into the thing that's being cooked, and cool off.  If there's a good conductive transfer between the steel and the stone, the stone will transfer heat into the steel, increasing the amount heat dumped into the food.  When you take the food out, as long as the stone is still hotter than the steel, it will continue to transfer heat into the steel.  That gets the steel up to temperature again faster. 

That's the theory.  I doubt it makes much difference, because the bond between the two is so poor. 

You have the physics correct. I say its redundant because if the steel is thick it has good heat capacity.

The ceramic has  higher heat capacity per mass but a 1/4" thick hunk of steel is going to be heavier 

than that pizza stone.