• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wawa vs Sheetz

gfweb

I grew up not far from Wawa #1 and my spouse grew up within walking distance of Sheetz #1, but we aren't huge fans of either of them.  I am happy to get gas and I occasionally grab a not especially good Wawa coffee in the early morning; however, that is the time when I most loathe stopping at a Sheetz.  I don't think I've ever been in a more visually and aurally irritating store  - except maybe Spencer Gifts in the late 70s.  The colors and lights are way too bright and flashy early in the AM.  There also always seems to be some sort of annoying music playing way too loud.  I have no idea what demographic they are shooting for, but it clearly hasn't ever been mine.  They must be doing something right though because they seem to be doing just fine.

As for the food, I don't mind Wawa in a pinch, but I very rarely eat there - at least not since they made the sausage eggs and cheese breakfast muffins "healthier" several years ago :(  They were getting bad press about the huge number of calories in them.  I am kind of glad they changed them though because not eating them at all is saving me loads of calories.  They have improved their soft pretzels though.  For years and years it would have been difficult to find soft pretzels that were consistently worse anywhere else in the greater Philadelphia area.  Even the "armpit" pretzels were tastier.

• Like 1

They have one healthier Sizzli, the whole grain muffin, egg white and turkey sausage.

All the Sizzlis are good.

When Wawa went into Orlando, Florida, now the surrounding states are begging for Wawas. Wawa is the Wegmans of convenience stores. Amorosos developed that ready baked roll system for Wawa Florida.

Seriously, what other gas station can you get Kale Quinoa salad with GOAT CHEESE?

WAWA!

The closest Sheetz to me is off 422 in Birdsboro. They have unique ready made sandwiches and LIME TEA...Oh and Oreo Parfait.

The worst is Turkey Hill or any convenience store that has those snacks on hot rollers. UGH!

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

There is no doubt many people *love* Wawa.  They do inspire loyalty like Wegmans does. 

Not to stray too far off topic, but I think Wawa loyalty is the basis of one of our local food dichotomies - as in, do you love Wawa or not?  My favorite was always do you eat at food trucks or not?  That was much more of thing 10+ years ago - before food trucks became fashionable.  At the time food safety and cleanliness issues seemed to keep many people away, but not so much today.  As for me, I've been eating truck food on a regular basis for 25 years so my hope is that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Edited by rustwood
poor editing (log)
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Sheetz stores are jarring indeed.  And I agree too about WaWa coffee. Its weak and not particularly good.

Regular Wawa coffee is perfect.

The problem is that lately our tastebuds have been accustomed to coffee drinks that are made with French Roast or Espresso and highly flavored.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

We're just about 2 weeks away from the first Wawa opening in Palm Beach County. Hoagie-deprived northerners are drooling in anticipation. (Seriously, the local paper has been updating us for at least a year.) I'll have to go just to see if it lives up to the hype.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

It is probably a very good hoagie for FL, it is just OK/fine for Philly IMO.  They sell a ton of them here though and many love them.  Just remember, the Italian hoagie should have oil and oregano, not mayo :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Regular Wawa coffee is perfect.

The problem is that lately our tastebuds have been accustomed to coffee drinks that are made with French Roast or Espresso and highly flavored.

Its better than Dunkin's swill anyway.

5 hours ago, rustwood said:

They have improved their soft pretzels though.  For years and years it would have been difficult to find soft pretzels that were consistently worse anywhere else in the greater Philadelphia area.  Even the "armpit" pretzels were tastier.

The local Wawa (which is a small one without a gas station, though in the same location as the gas station where Richard Hauptmann reputedly stopped following the Lindbergh kidnapping) is next door to a soft pretzel shop.  I don't ever recall seeing pretzels for sale in Wawa.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou