• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

I use a modification of the method mentioned by

@JAZ 

if the bread is crunchy w a thick crust and the sandwich is thick and has soft filling or slide around fillings :

I cut the top in 1/2  while is is alone on the cutting board by itself , then put that on top of the completed sandwich and cut right through

the rest.  no flipping.

I did not invent this myself , unfortunately .

I saw it as a mail-in " Tip ?  in Cook's Illustrated many many years ago.

at the library of course !

rotuts

rotuts

I use a modification of he method mentioned by

@JAZ 

if the bread is crunchy w a thick skin and the sandwich is thick and has soft filling or slid around fillings :

I cut the top in 1/2  while is is along on the cutting board by itself , then put that on top of the completed sandwich and cut right through

the rest.  no flipping.

I saw it as a mail-in " Tip ?  in Cook's Illustrated many many years ago.

rotuts

rotuts

I use a modification of he method mentioned by

@JAZ 

if the bread is crunch w a thick skin and the sandwich is thick and has soft filling or slid around fillings :

I cut the top in 1/2  while is is along on the cutting board, then put that on top of the completed sandwich and cut right through

the rest.  no flipping.

I saw it as a mail-in Tip  in Cook's Illustrated many many years ago.