• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I bought a bunch of lychees a few days ago.

lychees.thumb.jpg.213d978f672b131052d01df049ac7cc3.jpg

Just finished them when my dearest friend J called to say she was coming to see me to give me something. Always happy to see her.

She arrived with a kilo of lychees. It turns out the local harvest has been phenomenal - in fact too much so. There is a glut of the things and price has dropped to virtually zero leaving the farmers with problems.

To offer assistance to the farmers, the local government has stepped in and bought up tons of them and distributed them to their staff. J works for the local government in the department that promotes local foods, so she has first call!

She and her husband and son are working their way through them and she decided to unload some on me. Tonight, she brought her son with her. I offered him one and he looked sick and declined! I think he's been eating them non-stop for days!

lychhees.jpg.96add5b91ef82e22da60bafd3a5804de.jpg

Over the years I've seen the government do the same over gluts of bananas and oranges.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Just finished them when my dearest friend J called to say she was coming to see me to give me something. Always happy to see her.

She arrived with a kilo of lychees. It turns out the local harvest has been phenomenal - in fact too much so. There is a glut of the things and price has dropped to virtually zero leaving the farmers with problems.

To offer assistance to the farmers, the local government has stepped in and bought up tons of them and distributed them to their staff. J works for the local government in the department that promotes local foods, so she has first call!

She and her husband and son are working their way through them and she decided to unload some on me. Tonight, she brought her son with her. I offered him one and he looked sick and declined! I think he's been eating them non-stop for days!

Over the years I've seen the same thing happen with bananas and oranges.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Just finished them when my dearest friend J called to say she was coming to see to give me something. Always happy to see her.

To offer assistance to the farmers, the local government has stepped in and bought up tons of them and distributed to their staff. J works for the local government in the department that promotes local foods, so she has first call!

liuzhou

liuzhou

Just finished them when my dearest friend J called to say she was coming to see to give me something. Always happy to see her.

He arrived with a kilo of lychees. It turns out the local harvest has been phenomenal - in fact too much so. There is a glut of the things and price has dropped to virtually zero leaving the farmers with problems.

To offer assistance to the farmers, the local government has stepped in and bought up tons of them and distributed to their staff. J works for the local government in the department that promotes local foods, so she has first call!