• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

Faced with early notice of an unexpected guest tonight, I pulled a pork steak that had been bagged with Vivian Howard's blueberry barbecue sauce and then frozen out and tossed it into the SV. frozen. I think it's been going since about 11 a.m. at 145F.   My plan is to pull it about 6 p.m., then throw it in the smoker for 40 minutes or so. 

I've never SV'd pork steak (slices from the shoulder) before. If it were a shoulder or or butt portion roast, I'd want to go at least 12. Think it'll have time to get tender in the time I have for it? It's good home-grown, farm-raised pork from just up the road. and is about 1/2 inch thick.

Will have with baked beans and potato salad. Also thinking about tossing some sliced peaches and cubed cantaloupe with a yogurt dressing as a fruit salad.

kayb

kayb

Faced with early notice of an unexpected guest tonight, I pulled a pork steak that had been bagged with Vivian Howard's blueberry barbecue sauce and then frozen out and tossed it into the SV. frozen. I think it's been going since about 11 a.m. at 145F.   My plan is to pull it about 6 p.m., then throw it in the smoker for 40 minutes or so. 

I've never SV'd pork steak (slices from the shoulder) before. If it were a shoulder or or butt portion roast, I'd want to go at least 12. Think it'll have time to get tender in the time I have for it? It's good home-grown, farm-raised pork from just up the road.

Will have with baked beans and potato salad. Also thinking about tossing some sliced peaches and cubed cantaloupe with a yogurt dressing as a fruit salad.