• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

apostrophe failure

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Back with another question regarding brining pork chops.  When I look up brining directions online, I find a wide range of times.  Some say 4 hours, some say 12 hours.  When I’ve done it for as long as 6 hours, I find the meat much too salty.  Other directions say one hour per pound.  That’s when I start trying to do math in my head. 

I was a theatre major.  Neither my math nor my logic skills are up to par.  My SAT scores were so lopsided I’m surprised I don’t walk sideways.  I’m always calling Mr. Kim from the grocery store with moronic questions like “is a pint one cup or two” and “how many ounces in a pound” and the real tough one: “do you think they mean liquid or weight in ounces”. 

If I want to brine for one hour per pound of meat, does that mean: 4 half pound chops (2 lbs.) = 2 hours OR just a half an hour because each chop is only half a pound.  See what I mean?  My head hurts.  Thank you!!

I'd love to help, but just reading your question gave me a headache. The mathematical gene passed me by completely, much to my father's disgust (he was a mathematics professor). When I was told that a+b=c, I rebelled and ran off to join a circus. a+b clearly says 'ab' which means nothing!

I would have a nervous breakdown in the USA with your quaint measurements which make little sense. I can just about cope with metric.

I'm looking forward to a reasonable answer from someone more gifted in the occult arts.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Back with another question regarding brining pork chops.  When I look up brining directions online, I find a wide range of times.  Some say 4 hours, some say 12 hours.  When I’ve done it for as long as 6 hours, I find the meat much too salty.  Other directions say one hour per pound.  That’s when I start trying to do math in my head. 

I was a theatre major.  Neither my math nor my logic skills are up to par.  My SAT scores were so lopsided I’m surprised I don’t walk sideways.  I’m always calling Mr. Kim from the grocery store with moronic questions like “is a pint one cup or two” and “how many ounces in a pound” and the real tough one: “do you think they mean liquid or weight in ounces”. 

If I want to brine for one hour per pound of meat, does that mean: 4 half pound chops (2 lbs.) = 2 hours OR just a half an hour because each chop is only half a pound.  See what I mean?  My head hurts.  Thank you!!

I'd love to help, but just reading your question gave me a headache. The mathematical gene passed me by completely, much to my fathers disgust (he was a mathematics professor). When I was told that a+b=c, I rebelled and ran off to join a circus. a+b clearly says 'ab' which means nothing!

I would have a nervous breakdown in the USA with your quaint measurements which make little sense. I can just about cope with metric.

I'm looking forward to a reasonable answer from someone more gifted in the occult arts.