• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I must reiterate my hands on experience of British cuisine is bacon in cans from Denmark and custard in packets from Bird's.

What?

My "hand's on experience" is living in the UK from 1953 until 1996, largely because I'm British, and I have never in my life knowingly eaten canned bacon from anywhere. Don't even remember seeing it.

A simple Google search for "canned bacon" only seems to return American examples. And this denigration of British cuisine coming from a country that gave us Spam, Coca Cola and all the other junk food which has lead to a world-wide obesity epidemic?

I'll grant you that Bird's custard is or was popular, but it wasn't universal. Even my cooking challenged mother made her own. We kids preferred Bird's.

I'd just add that it isn't Britain that is guilty of making no condescension to Fahrenheit. It's pretty much the world. The USA is one of the very few countries (maybe three) which still uses that - I think the others are Chad and some other country which has changed its name three times since I last looked at a map last week.

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I must reiterate my hands on experience of British cuisine is bacon in cans from Denmark and custard in packets from Bird's.

What?

My "hand's on experience" is living in the UK from 1953 until 1996, largely because I'm British, and I have never in my life knowingly eaten canned bacon from anywhere. Don't even remember seeing it.

A simple Google search for "canned bacon" only seems to return American examples. And this denigration of British cuisine coming from a country that gave us Spam, Coca Cola and all the other junk food which has lead to a world-wide obesity epidemic?

I'll grant you that Bird's custard is or was popular, but it wasn't universal. Even my cooking challenged mother made her own. We kids preferred Bird's.

I'd just add that it isn't Britain that is guilty of making no condescension to Fahrenheit. It's pretty much the world. The USA is one of the very few countries (maybe three) which still uses that - I think the others are Chad and some other country which has changed its name since I last looked at a map.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What?

liuzhou

liuzhou

What?

My "hand's on experience" is living in the UK from 1953 until 1996, largely because I'm British,  and I have never in my life knowingly eaten canned bacon from anywhere. Don't even remember seeing it.

A simple Google search for "canned bacon" only seems to return American examples. And this denegration of British cuisine coming from a country that gave us Spam, Coca Cola and all the other junk food which lead to a world-wide obesity epidemics?

liuzhou

liuzhou

What?

My "hand's on experience" is living in the UK from 1953 until 1996, largely because I'm British,  and I have never in my life knowingly eaten canned bacon from anywhere. Don't even remember seeing it.

A simple Google search for "canned bacon" only seems to return American examples. And this dismissal of British cuisine coming from a country that gave us Spam, Coca Cola and all the other junk food which lead to a world-wide obesity epidemics?