• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

helenjp

helenjp

No chance of my drinking it! It really was the most undrinkable wine I remember encountering. It was a gamay wine from Morgon, so not the best wine to park on a shelf for 6 years anyway, I suppose.  

It was undoubtedly too old - the choice was pretty much $5 French or this unfiltered but elderly item. Since summer the variety of imported wines available in supermarkets near me has really plunged.Over half of the wines are Japanese in my local supermarkets, but nothing that I want to buy there - Japan does make some good wine, but it is not on sale in supermarkets.

Japan has just released plans to raise the tax on wine so that it is the same as for sake, and I can't help wondering if the sudden drop in availability of imported wine is part of a drive to wean wealthy consumers off it. (To give you an idea of how import-driven the wine market here is, just under 30% of bottled wine on sale is made in Japan, and just under 25% of THAT is actually produced from fresh grapes rather than from largely imported grape concentrate).

Now I'm curious, I just might buy the next bottle of unfiltered wine that I come across!

helenjp

helenjp

No chance of my drinking it! It really was the most undrinkable wine I remember encountering. It was a gamay wine from Morgon, so not the best   

It was undoubtedly too old - the choice was pretty much $5 French or this unfiltered but elderly item. Since summer the variety of imported wines available in supermarkets near me has really plunged.Over half of the wines are Japanese in my local supermarkets, but nothing that I want to buy there - Japan does make some good wine, but it is not on sale in supermarkets.

Japan has just released plans to raise the tax on wine so that it is the same as for sake, and I can't help wondering if the sudden drop in availability of imported wine is part of a drive to wean wealthy consumers off it. (To give you an idea of how import-driven the wine market here is, just under 30% of bottled wine on sale is made in Japan, and just under 25% of THAT is actually produced from fresh grapes rather than from largely imported grape concentrate).

Now I'm curious, I just might buy the next bottle of unfiltered wine that I come across!