• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

On 7/9/2018 at 6:08 PM, Shelby said:

While putting up some sweet corn from the garden I was toying with using the cobs for something.  @rotuts and @ElsieD both suggested a broth--rotuts reminded me of Vivian's Corn Stock located on pg. 232 of the cookbook.

Using some of the inner husks would have never occurred to me.  I didn't use any salt or anything to season it--I'll do that when I thaw it out and use it.  It's very corny and good though :)

IMG_4876.jpg.522ae30f1da15a6eceafe8bbcdebb100.jpg

IMG_4884.JPG.18dc67a326b4a4530ba719d0b2957ec6.JPG

That's a great idea!  I've never made corn stock, but I use the denuded cobs to flavor the liquid in my corn chowder.  It is amazing how much flavor that adds.  I would freeze all our leftover cobs all summer, but they are gnawed on and I don't think anyone would appreciate gnawed cob stock.

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

On 7/9/2018 at 6:08 PM, Shelby said:

While putting up some sweet corn from the garden I was toying with using the cobs for something.  @rotuts and @ElsieD both suggested a broth--rotuts reminded me of Vivian's Corn Stock located on pg. 232 of the cookbook.

Using some of the inner husks would have never occurred to me.  I didn't use any salt or anything to season it--I'll do that when I thaw it out and use it.  It's very corny and good though :)

IMG_4876.jpg.522ae30f1da15a6eceafe8bbcdebb100.jpg

IMG_4884.JPG.18dc67a326b4a4530ba719d0b2957ec6.JPG

That's a great idea!  I've never made corn stock, but I use the denuded cobs to flavor the liquid in my corn chowder.  It is amazing how much flavor that adds.