• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou

I am curious to know a little more about the bacon. It is obviously very different from anything I know as bacon and it does not appear to be smoked.  

Doesn't it resemble what I've heard described as Canadian bacon?

In my worlds, both in the UK and China, bacon may be smoked or unsmoked and it isn't necessarily belly pork. In fact, this is smoked, but very lightly, but it doesn't have to be. This one is cured in salt and sugar with some distilled rice-wine alcohol rub then, as noted, slightly smoked.

Here is another bacon. Very smoked. This one is from Hunan and is hanging in my balcony.

烟薰腊肉.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou

I am curious to know a little more about the bacon. It is obviously very different from anything I know as bacon and it does not appear to be smoked.  

Doesn't it resemble what I've heard described as Canadian bacon?

In my worlds, both in the UK and China, bacon may be smoked or unsmoked and it isn't necessarily belly pork.
In fact, this is smoked, but very lightly, but it doesn't have to be.

It is cured in salt and sugar with some distilled rice-wine alcohol rub then, as noted, slightly smoked.

Here is another bacon. Very smoked. This one is from Hunan and is hanging in my balcony.

烟薰腊肉.jpg